Chapter 18

After Gus and I's shower, and yes, if you were wondering, there was more kissing done than washing, we both got out and began to dry off.

But what did Gus think would be a good idea? For me to wear his shirt, meaning that he wouldn't have one. I would have to lose my breath to his shirtlessnes again and again until dinner.

But, of course, beggars can't be choosers. "Fine." I smiled.

Gus ripped off his shirt enthusiastically and handed it to me. It was buttery-soft against my skin, and smelled like boy. My boy.

~~

Gus and I sat on my bed reading chapters of a book I like to each other, when my alarm went off.

"I have to go make dinner with my family now." I sighed. I wasn't angry, and I loved making dinner with my mom, but I also loved spending time with Gus.

"I can help you." Gus smiled.

"I want to spend some alone time with my family tonight, if that's okay." I gave him a sad smile.

"I understand. I'll see you soon, Hazel Grace." Gus put two fingers under my chin and kissed my nose, which he always did when he felt bad.

I wasn't going to let him leave like that.

"Gus, babe, don't feel bad. I love you very much, but I promised my parents I'd spend time with them too." I explained.

His face brightened with that explanation. "I love you too, Hazel Grace." And then, he kissed my lips - and I knew he felt better.