Chapter 23

Gus and I sat in the middle of his floor for what seemed like hours. I didn't mind, and he didn't seem to have the capability to stand up. And while no one made a sound, the silence was defeaning.

"Gus, I have great news." I smiled.

"What is it?" He looked up at me.

"The Genies donated $1,000 to our funding page. We only need $175 to get to Paris!" I exclaimed. Gus shot up and out of my embrace.

"You're serious?!" His eyes were gleaming.

"I'm serious, Gus! We are this close to going to Paris." I pinched my fingers about a centimeter apart. Gus took my hand in his, and he pulled me close to him. I nestled my head under his chin.

"Hazel Grace, you are extraordinary." Gus sighed.

"You know, you just called me extra ordinary without the space in between." I replied.

"Well there is nothing extra ordinary about you, but speaking of missing space..." He trailed off as he wrapped his arm all the way around my petite frame.

"Could you hand my plastic arm please?" Gus asked awkwardly. "I want to hold you with two arms." I reluctantly got up and handed him his arm. He attached it with ease, and as soon as he finished, wrapped me up again.

"We're so close Gus." I told him.

"SO close. And I can't wait to hold you like this in the most romantic city in the world." Gus turned me to face him and pressed his lips against the corner of my mouth. I slid my head over so he was kissing my mouth. I broke away from him and stood up, offering him my hand. He took it and pushed me against the wall. He kissed me again, starting on my mouth this time. He tried to put his tongue in my mouth, but I denied him all entrance. I loved teasing him, but I loved his reaction even more. He got desperate.

But not today. This time, he hooked his fingers through my belt loops and yanked me up against him. And what I felt shocked me so much that I gasped, and he took the opportunity to stick his tongue in and explore my mouth.

"I love you, Hazel Grace." He smiled.

I was too wrapped up in him to respond.