Chapter 8

I recently returned home from the hospital. Gus and my parents are still making a fuss over my oxygen tank, saying the needed a cover over the dials to keep anyone or anything from bumping it.

I, of course, could care less.

"Mom, Dad, that was a one time thing. I'm fine, I'm breathing, please just relax." I said.

"Honey, you could've died," my mom started, "and I don't want to lose you over something we have control over."

Those last words killed me. "something we have control over" meant that she was going to lose me soon enough over something nobody could help.

"I know mom." It was all I could muster.

And with that, she left my room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few days later, Gus was over again.

"How're your lungs?" He asked.

"Sucky. How's your leg?" I asked.

"plasticky."

I laughed.

"You know, I've noticed a lull on our conversations recently." Gus pointed out. I nodded in agreement.

"I guess we can't help but treat each other differently now that we are both dying." I frowned.

"I hate it. This needs to stop."

"I know. I don't like it either."

"Get up. We're going to Funky Bones." Gus stated, and pulled me to my feet.

We packed our picnic and headed out. Gus could walk again, however slowly, so we went on foot.

"Hazel Grace?"

"Yes?"

"Look to your left, about 45 degrees."

I did as I was told. When I looked, I saw some one hiding withing the bushes. I couldn't tell what they were holding, but I was damn sure they were pointing it at Gus.

"I can't run, Hazel Grace. What should we do?" Gus sounded worried.

"Get down." I hissed.

"What?" He asked.

"GET DOWN!!!" I yelled, and pushed Augustus to the floor. He caught himself with his arm, just as something flew above our head.

Who would want us dead? We were already dying. What was the point?

Guys i'm back from IMIF!! I missed you!