Chapter 24

I was at home. I couldn't think of any way to earn $175. Gus and I had already had a garage sale, so we no longer had any junk to sell. Lemonade stand was a success, but there was no way we would get even more pity than what was given the first time. Any way I could think of to earn money, we had already done.

The alternative was getting a job. And no employer, no matter how generous, would give any sort of job to a girl who couldn't breathe on her own or a boy who had half his limbs removed. I felt hopeless.

But then I remembered.

The jar: I had taken an old jam jar when Gus and I first met and put loose coins or bills in as a sort of apology for not being interested in dating at first. My original thought was to be able to purchase Gus something special, but there might be just enough money in there to get to Paris.

I rummaged through my drawers and shelves and after about 20 minutes of frantic searching, finally found it tucked behind my copy of An Imperial Affliction. I began counting. The total, after what felt like hours of counting, was $165.92. I rounded down, and cursed myself for spending that last ten dollars who-knows-when. But I figured, $10 was nothing. We could do without ten dollars of spending money.

"Hazel Grace!" Gus said when he answered the phone.

"Gus, we're going to Paris. I fell ten dollars short in my money jar, but-" Gus cut me off.

"Money jar?" He asked. I blushed.

"Well, when we first met," I started, "I began saving up almost all my money to buy you something special, and, well. I guess this was it." I laughed.

"Something special, huh?" He smirked. "And what would that be, my dear?"

"Well, I hadn't really thought about what to get. At first it was an apology for turning you down, but after we got together, it was going to be one of my many, if I do say so myself, romantic gestures. Because Gus, I love you." I smiled.

"I guess that is an acceptable answer for now." He said. "We are going to Paris, after all."