Chapter 20

"Hazel Grace, don't ever scare me like that again.": Gus said seriously.

It was all I could do to smile at him.

"She's got little energy Gus, she hasn't eaten in hours and her body is fighting the tumor, she'll be weak these next couple of days." A doctor said. Dr. Maria walked in.

"Hazel, honey, how do you feel?" She asked.

"Tired. And hungry." I muttered.

"I'll get you some applesauce. For now-"

I cut her off. "I can still go to Paris, right?" I asked, my strength slowly returning as the nerves of not going came to me.

"In a few months, probably. But not any time soon." Dr. Maria said gently.

"We need to earn more money first anyway, right Gus?" I looked over at him, and he had a big frown on his face.

"What?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh nothing. Don't worry about it." Gus gave me an encouraging smile.

"I'll trust you..." I trailed off. And then I fell asleep.

~~~

I awoke again in my bedroom, with no recollection of where I have been the past day.

"Mom? Dad?" I called. My mother walked into my room.

"Honey, you're awake!" She smiled. She had a bowl of oatmeal in her hands.

"Hey, is that for me?" I smiled. "I'm starving."

"Sure is. How do you feel?" She got serious again.

"A lot better. When will I be able to walk again?" I asked, already being able to tell that I was too weak to even move out of bed.

"A week or so, the doctors said." Mom frowned.

"What?"

"Nothing." She snapped out of her thoughts. "Nothing, sweetheart. Get some rest."

"What's wrong? You can tell me!" I said, tired of being in the dark.

"Curiosity killed the cat, Hazel." And then my mother walked out of my room, leaving me to my oatmeal and my thoughts.