Chapter 14

A/N: Guys I love the reads! Thank you! But I usually only update when I have at least 25 reads and 5 VOTES. Chapter 13 only got four, but I felt bad about not posting for a while, so I'm going to let it slide. Remember to vote when you read my story please :) Enjoy chapter 14!

"Hazel Grace, we have almost half of what we need to go to Paris!"

"I'm so ecstatic, what should we do?" I yelped.

"Um..." Gus said.

"Hmm."

The excitement that had built up started to fade as Gus and I decided what to do next.

"Perhaps a bake sale?" Gus suggested.

"Yeah! My mom could make some stuff, and so could yours!" I said.

"This'll be great. Let's go tell our parents."

~~~~

The next day used a lot of flour. Together, my parents, Gus, his parents, and I were making chocolate chip cookies, raspberry tarts, lemon cake, blueberry muffins, banana bread, and a bunch of other goodies for our bake sale, which we had put signs up for the day before.

"Honey, do you need us to help you with the bake sale?" Mom asked.

"You already are." I smiled at my sarcasm.

"You know what I mean."

"No, I think Gus and I are good." I said.

"Honey, I know this trip is important to you, but I would like to see me daughter more often than at dinner and in the mornings." She said.

"I'm sorry mom, I'll spend more time with you and dad. I promise."

I meant it. And I'd fulfill it.

~~

Gus and I sat underneath the tent we set up with foldable tables and chairs for our bake sale.

Everything was out on plates with fans and fly swatters around us.

"I really hope this works." Gus said.

"I do, too."

After Gus and I had a deep conversation about how there are many different kinds of sugar, a little girl came up to us.

"What's in your nose?" She asked me.

"It's a cannula. It gives me air to breathe." I smiled.

"Oh, and where's your arm?" She asked Gus. He hadn't put on his prosthetic arm that day.

"I lost it because there was bad stuff in it that could hurt me if I left it there." He explained.

"Oh. I'm sorry." She frowned. "I'm Kassy."

"Hi Kassy. I'm Hazel, and this is Gus." I said.

"Can I have 2 chocolate chip cookies please?" She asked.

"Sure! That'll be $5.00." Gus said as I handed her her two cookies wrapped in tissue paper.

"Thanks. I hope you guys feel better."

And then Kassy ran away.

But Gus was looking at me with the same pain I felt.

We weren't going to get better. Ever.