Chapter 15

The bake sale made Augustus and I $318. Giving us a grand total of $1580 made so far. Only $1175 left to go!

"Gus, we're over halfway there. We're so close. And I haven't collected the most recent donations online yet." I smiled.

"Hazel Grace, you're going to have the time of your life in Paris!"

Gus picked me up with his one arm in a hug. I froze.

"What? What's wrong?" Gus asked.

"I can't stop thinking about what that little girl Kassy said." I said. "We're never going to get better..."

"Hazel." It's been forever since he said my first name only. "So what? So what if we never get better? We have now to live in. It's like what you told me. We don't have to make a mark on history as long as there's that one person who's important to you. Hazel Grace, I will remember you forever and no matter what happens I am in love with you. Present tense. I will love you when I die and when you die and everything before and after that. We don't need to be cancer-free to love each other. You know that and I know that and we also know that for whatever reason, everyone dies. And God, do I wish we could get a few extra years on Earth together, but it was written in our stars to die young. We need to overcome that and love each other anyway."

Gus was crying.

And when he reached up to wipe my cheek, I realized that I was crying too. But I couldn't tell. I couldn't feel anything. I was numb.