1

Your POV

Sirens.

I couldn't stop hearing the sirens no matter how hard I tried.

I didn't know that's how he was providing for us. If I would've known that then I would've gotten a job. I could've helped out so he didn't have to settle with dealing drugs.

I slammed my fists down on the table as tears brimmed in my eyes.

"Pull yourself together, Y/n," I mumbled to myself as I furiously wiped my eyes and stood up, grabbing my bags. The car that was supposed to escort me to the airport was on its way.

Apparently the cops found out that I actually did have some family in the states.

I looked around the old beat up apartment I grew up in, knowing this would be the last time I saw it.

I picked up all of my stuff, not that I had much anyways, and headed out the door. I felt like the burn in my chest only increased with every step I took on the way out of the apartment.

When I exited the apartment building I looked around, immediately spotting the car that was for me. It was easy to spot. It was most definitely the most expensive car on this block. You don't see cars like that on this side of town.

"Mr. Hernandez?" The man who was standing outside of the car addressed me.

"That's me," I stated bluntly, watching him nod before he opened the door and tried to take my things. "I got it," I told him, putting my things in the back of the car before hopping in and shutting the door behind me before he could.

I sat back in my seat, shutting my eyes tightly. The ride to the airport was a blur. I couldn't pay attention to anything, too lost in my own thoughts.

"Sir, we're here," I heard the driver say.

I turned and saw we were in fact at the airport, and he was waiting for me to get out.

"Thank you," I told the man as I grabbed all my things and got out of the car.

I took a deep breath as I entered the airport and pulled out the crumpled ticket from my pocket.

"Uhhh..." I mumbled to myself. I've never been on a plane before. How am I supposed to know where to go?

"Excuse me?" I asked a lady who looked like she worked there.

"Can you tell me where to go?" I asked, handing her my ticket. She smiled and read over the paper.

"Terminal B. It's right down there. You won't be able to miss the security check. They'll guide you from there," she said, handing me my ticket and smiling before walking away.

I took another deep breath before beginning my walk to my terminal.

My feet felt like concrete and my chest was still burning as I tried to calm myself down. I was gonna have an anxiety attack if I stopped taking deep breaths.

I followed the instructions of the security guards, flying through the bag checks before being led to the waiting area.

I wasn't waiting for long before I heard the first boarding call. I quickly gathered my carry on, my other bag already taken with the bigger luggage to be loaded.

I kept to myself as I found my seat, sitting down quickly and putting my headphones in to let everyone know I didn't want to be disturbed on the two and a half hour flight to San Antonio.

I fiddled with the ring on my right hand. The ring my dad gave me.

I closed my eyes, feeling exhaustion take over me as I hadn't gotten any sleep for three days now. I hadn't been able to sleep at all. Every time I tried I woke up thinking I heard a knock on the door, identical to the one from the police officers who had showed up days ago.

I tried to keep my eyes open but it was no use, in just a few minutes I was out, only to be woken up hours later when the plane landed.

I rubbed my bloodshot eyes, becoming confused when I felt moisture. Was I crying in my sleep?

I took what felt like the millionth deep breath today, watching as people filed out of the plane.

I waited until almost everyone was out before I stood up, grabbing my carry on and following everyone to the baggage claim.

When I saw my bag I quickly grabbed it, pulling out my phone for the first time today and turning it on.

The only messages that popped up were a few social media notifications and a message from a number that I didn't have saved. I knew exactly who it was though.

(830) 636-1047:

We'll be waiting for you outside of your gate. We cannot wait to meet you!

I clicked off my phone after reading the message, continuing my walk in the direction I assumed was correct.

I felt like a lost child in this big airport.

All I knew was I was looking for Jerry and Patricia. I didn't even know what they looked like. Hell, I didn't even know they existed until a few days ago, and all of a sudden I flown out to San Antonio to live with them.

I stopped to look around, feeling a bit panicky now. My phone buzzed and I looked down at it to see a new message.

(830) 636-1047:

Your uncle and I are both wearing blue.

That message calmed me a bit. At least I know what I'm looking for now.

I glanced back up to see if I could find a couple dressed in blue, and soon enough I spotted them.

I slowly made my way over to them, making eye contact with the lady who seemed to catch onto who I was.

She took a step towards me as I approached them. "Y/n?" She asked, to which I only nodded.

Her smile grew as she brought me into a big hug. I awkwardly hugged back, not really trusting her quite yet. I mean yea she's family but I've gone eighteen years without knowing she's existed.

"It's so great to meet you," she smiled, pulling away and letting her husband hug me.

"It's nice to meet you," he said.

His hug was a lot shorter, which I was grateful for. When he pulled away he grabbed my suitcase before I could protest, smiling at me before turning to lead us out of the airport.

I was happy to be out of the crowd, feeling myself calm down a bit as I finally had room to breathe.

We quickly found the car and I got into the back seat as they both got into the front.

"So, Y/n..." I heard my aunt begin as my uncle started driving. "Was your flight okay?"

I nodded at her, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans as she was turned in her seat to face me.

"Not in a talkative mood?" She asked, to which I only shook my head slightly.

"It's okay. If you're up to it when we get home we can show you around. If not, we'll let you get some sleep," she said, smiling at me before turning back around.

I rested my head against the door as the ride dragged on.

I just wanted to go back home.