A Little Less Nervous

Date: August 2014

Katelyn Nacon had never been more nervous in her life. Right now her dad was driving her to the set of The Walking Dead, so she could get a tour of the set before she started filming next week.

She never dreamed that she would land a role on the show and when she did, her emotions had gone wild. She was so excited and yet so nervous, what if she made a fool of herself in front of everyone else and that she would flunk school because she was filming. She was nervous and despite that her parents told her not to be, she still was.

Her dad dropped her off at the front gate, "Good luck Kate and don't be nervous, it'll be fine okay?" She nodded and waved goodbye before she walked towards the gate that led into this community.

When she got near the gates, she noticed a boy wearing a black t-shirt and navy blue shorts, waiting for her. It was Chandler Riggs, otherwise known as Carl Grimes. What was he doing here?

Chandler waved at her and motioned her closer to her. She shyly walked over to him.

"Hey are you Katelyn?"

She nodded, "Yeah I'm Katelyn...Katelyn Nacon

"Cool, I'm Chandler and uh...I guess I'm going to show you around today...I've never done this before so don't like expect me to be a professional tour guide or something," He said, using a mock British accent.

She giggled, "I won't."

Together they walked inside the community.

////

"I can't believe that we basically grew up fifteen minutes from each other without knowing it," Katelyn said as she and Chandler walked around the set.

The last hour had been so fun, she'd met some cast members like Norman Reedus and Alanna Masterson. Everyone had been so nice and welcoming and her nerves were starting to settle, especially after how friendly Chandler had been. It turned they had a lot in common.

"I can't believe you go to Woodstock," Chandler said, "And that you think that they're better than Etowah."

"That's because we are...we kick your schools but in football every year," Katelyn said.

"Yeah but we destroy your team in baseball and in basketball," Chandler argued back.

She rolled her eyes, they had been bantering like this for the better part of the last hour and she had to admit, Chandler Riggs was a pretty nice guy. She was glad she'd have at least one friend when she started next week.

"Earth to Kate...Kate are you with us?" He jokingly asked trying to pull her out of her thoughts

"Huh? Wait what did you just call me?" She asked, giving him a mock glare.

"I-I...Uh Kate? I wasn't trying to offend you or anything...it was a nickname, we all have them here," He explained frantically.

She glared at him for a few second before she started laughing, "It's okay...everyone calls me that," she said once she stopped laughing, "You should have seen the look on your face," she laughed and he rolled his eyes.

"Whatever," he said and glanced at his watched, "Crap its four, wasn't your dad supposed to get you at four?"

"Yeah we'd better go, but first-" she pulled out her phone, "What's your number?"

He gave it to her and she smiled before they walked outside. Before they got to her dads car, she turned towards him.

"Thanks for showing me around today, I had a lot of fun and it was uh-nice to meet you," she said somewhat shyly.

"Yeah I had fun too and you're welcome," he said and nervously held out his hand.

She shook it and they laughed before she ran to her dads go, waving at him as she climbed in.

////

"So how was it?" her dad asked as he drove home.

"It was really good," she said as she sent a text to Chandler

K-so what's your nickname?

"Are you still nervous?"

"I'm a little less nervous actually," Katelyn smiled at her dad.

He smiled back, "That good!"

C-Its Chairhandler...but don't tell anyone

K- Your secret is safe with me, Chairhandler

C- 😒😒

Yeah she definitely felt a little less nervous.