Two Little Aliens

Date: May 2036

"Come on kids, we're going to be late," Chandler called from the bottom of the stairs.

"Late, late, Chandler is going to be late," Beaky called as he flew in from the window.

One of the advantage about living in the outskirts of Canton was that there was plenty of open space for the old bird to fly around without having to be confined to a balcony or backyard.

Chandler glared at the bird, "No he isn't," he turned back towards the stairs, "Let's go!"

One by one, Andy, Kennedy, Julia and Cayden came into view at the top of the stairs. Not a single one of them looked happy.

"Dad why do we have to do this?" Kennedy asked as she rubbed sleep out of her eyes.

"Yeah, it's the first day of summer vacation, I don't want to spend it in the doctor's office," Andy added as he came down the stairs.

"Because your father and I want you here with us for this appointment today," Katelyn added as she came into the hallway and handed each of the kids a bag of sliced apples and a juice box, "Here's your breakfast, you guys can eat it on the way."

Julia raised an eyebrow, "This is breakfast?" the eight year old asked.

"Yes and before you complain, we're going out for lunch after the appointment," she saw the exasperated look on her oldest sons face, "And then we'll drop you off at Jenna's."

She smirked as she watched the blush and grin form on Andy's face. Jenna was his best friend and Katelyn suspected that Andy had a crush on her, but she hadn't pressed him on the matter.

"Thanks Mom," Andy said as he hugged his mother and then turned towards his siblings, "Come on guys let's go."

"You just want us to hurry up so you can get to your girlfriend quicker," Kennedy snickered.

"Andy has a girlfriend, Andy has a girlfriend," Beaky squawked, causing laughter to erupt from everyone except Andy, who gave the bird a death stare, similar to the one his father often gave the bird.

"Alright, let go before the bird offends anyone else," Chandler said as he passed Cayden his jean jacket.

"Shoutgun!" Andy and Kennedy called at the same time.

Chandler shook his head, "Sorry guys but your mother is my shotgun rider," Chandler said and pulled Katelyn into a kiss, while their children made disgusted faces and gagged.

"Well now we know how you guys ended up with four kids and another one of the way," Andy said with with a smirk and ducked to avoid his father's hand.

"Get in the car," Chandler said and his eldest ran out the door, followed by his siblings, all of them laughing and teasing each other.

Chandler looked towards Katelyn who was tying a sweater around her waist, "This is the last one right?"

She giggled and nodded, "Oh yeah, I think five is definitely enough," she said as she took his hand and together then left the house and headed for the SUV.

////

"Well I must say it is certainly a surprise to see the whole clan here this morning," Dr. Harding said as she led Chandler, Katelyn and the kids into the room, "I haven't seen any of you since you were born," she said to the kids.

"I don't remember you," Cayden said as he sat down on a stool.

The doctor laughed, "That's okay Cayden, and most babies don't remember the day they were born."

"I do," Julia boasted.

"No you don't," Cayden said.

"Yeah I do," Julia said.

"No way," Cayden shot back.

"Guys," Chandler said, getting the attention of his two youngest children, "Stop arguing, neither of you remember the day you were born and that's the end of it," he turned back towards the doctor who was preparing the ultrasound machine.

"So Katelyn have you been experiencing any morning sickness?"

"Yeah a bit, not every day, but at least a few times a week," Katelyn explained as she climbed up onto the table.

"Any mood swings?"

Chandler and Katelyn exchanged a look, "Yes," they both said together.

"Any increases in certain romantic behaviours or activities?" Dr. Harding asked as she held up the sheet for Chandler to take.

"Definitely," the couple said together and Andy made a gagging sound from his chair next to the medical cabinet.

The doctor in her mid-fifties chuckled and she squirted the bottle of cool substance onto Katelyn stomach and held up the wand, "Alright let's take a look at this baby," she said and placed the wand onto Katelyn's stomach and started moving it around.

For the next minute, nothing was heard or seen besides a greyish picture of the screen. Then they all heard it. It was a thumping sound.

Katelyn smiled and looked at Chandler who smiled back at her lovingly.

"The baby's heartbeat is strong," Dr. Harding said as she continued to move the wand.

"That's amazing," Kennedy said in awe and she and her siblings stared at the screen, listening to the sound of the unborn sibling's heartbeat.

"Oh well would you look at that," Dr. Harding said as she moved the wand.

"What?" Chandler and Katelyn asked, slight concern on both their faces.

"I'd like to introduce you guys to your twins," Dr. Harding said and suddenly a picture appeared on the screen. Two little grey blob were on the screen.

She pointed to the one of the right, "That's twin A and this," she pointed to the blob on the left "is twin B."

The six members of the Riggs family stared at the screen in amazement, Chandler squeezed Katelyn's hand and placed a kiss on her forehead.

"They look like two little aliens," Cayden said and everyone laughed.

He wasn't wrong, they did look like two little aliens. Two little aliens that a few months from now would join the Riggs family.

Chandler and Katelyn exchanged a look. They hadn't expected twins and while five kids sounded amazing, six was perfect.