You're My Brother

Date: June 2021

The tune of 'Don't Stop Believin,' blared through Katelyn's IPhone causing her and Chandler to groan as the song awoken them from sleep.

The past two days had been very busy. They had just graduated from Georgia Tech. Katelyn with a degree in Music and Chandler with a degree in Film and Media Production. They'd both also minored in Business.
Yesterday they had gone out celebrating with some of their friends and hadn't gotten back until two in the morning.

"Who the hell is calling at this hour?" Chandler asked as he glanced at the clock, the red lights displayed the numbers six, four and five. They'd been asleep maybe a bit over three hours.

Katelyn looked at her phone, she saw her brother's picture on the screen, "My brother," she grumbled as she hit the 'accept' button.

"Ask him why he's calling at this ungodly hour," Chandler whispered, before she shushed him with her finger and put the phone up to her ear.

"Hey Chris what's up?" she asked, her voice groggy, she listened to her brother words, "You Did What?" she yelled and Chandler sat up, giving her a look that was a mixture of confusion and concern.

"What the hell were you thinking Chris? No don't give me that crap... yeah we'll see you in an hour," she said before hanging up the phone and letting out an angry sigh.

"What was that all about?" Chandler asked.

"You know that girl my brother met at the conference the three of us went to the other month?"

"The one for TWLOHA?" he asked.

She nodded, "Yep, her name was Maddy and well... my brother just married her," She said.

"Cool," he said before closing his eyes.

"It is not cool," she exclaimed, slapping him lightly on the shoulder, "They eloped."

"That's nice...I'm going back to bed now," Chandler said as he snuggled under the covers.

"No you're not, we have to get up, my brother and his new wife are coming over for breakfast in an hour," Katelyn said as she pulled the blankets off the bed.

Chandler groaned, "Couldn't we have a celebratory lunch instead?" he reluctantly climbed out of bed and looked for a shirt.

"Oh trust me, this isn't a celebratory breakfast," Katelyn muttered as she walked into the bathroom.

////

An hour later, Chandler and Katelyn were both dressed and drinking cups of coffee, waiting for Chris and Maddy to arrive.

Katelyn was pacing around the kitchen. When they heard a knock on the door, they both ran towards it.

"Remember he's your brother and she's now your sister in law, so try to be nice," Chandler said to Katelyn before he opened the door.

"Whatever," she sassed.

Chandler opened the door and Chris and Maddy stood there, hand in hand, smiling at Katelyn and Chandler.

"Hey guys, come on in," Chandler said and the pair obliged, walking inside and removing their shoes.

"Thanks for having us," Chris said and Maddy smiled. "Hey sis how are ya?" Chris asked Katelyn and went to hug her.

Katelyn stuck out her hand and shook his, "I'm fine," she gestured to her and Chandler, "We graduated the other day, our families were there for that," she added, giving her brother and his wife a look.

"Yeah well I guess we're both entering a new chapter in life," Chris said nervously.

"It was nice of you guys to invite us over for breakfast," Maddy added, tucking her honey-blond hair behind her ear.

"It would have been nice if you guys had invited us to your wedding," Katelyn said.

"Would you guys like any coffee? Or something to eat?" Chandler offered trying hard to diffuse the situation.

At the moment, Beaky flew into the hall, "Chris," he cheered as he flew over to see the man.

"What's up bird?" Chris asked the bird.

Beaky began to repeat a slew of different words to Chris and Maddy. It wasn't what Chandler had in mind, but it cut the tension.

////

"Can you quit giving me that dirty look?" Chris asked Katelyn as they four of them sat around the table in the kitchen, eating breakfast.

"What look would that be? The 'I'm mad at my brother because he eloped and didn't invite his sister to the wedding look?' because that was what I was going for," Katelyn said, glaring at her brother.

"Well stop it," Chris said.

Katelyn looked at Maddy, "Did Chris ever tell you about how many girls he dated before you?" She looked at her brother, "Wasn't it twenty-three?"

"Katelyn Enough!" Chris yelled.

"Um Maddy would you like to finish breakfast in the living room with me?" Chandler asked the nervous looking girl, "We can watch Saturday morning cartoons with Beaky."

"Sure," Maddy nodded and together the pair left the siblings to continue their arguing.

"What is your problem? You told me you liked Maddy." Chris said.

"I do! That doesn't mean I wanted you to marry her...at least not without your family there," she raised an eyebrow at her brother, "Have you told mom and dad yet?"

He shook his head, "No I thought the news might come better from you," he said sheepishly.

"Oh no! This is your mess, you get to clean it up, Chandler and I aren't bailing you out!"

"Fine, how mad do you think they'll be?"

"Let see considering that mom has been dreaming of planning both our weddings since we were babies...so I think they'll be very mad."

Chris nodded, "Can I ask why you're so mad?"

"You missed my graduation," she looked at him, "You're my brother and you missed my graduation and even worse you didn't call me to come be your witness... you're my brother and you didn't invite me to your own wedding," Katelyn said, wiping away a stray tear.

Chris stood up and pulled her into a hug, "I'm sorry I didn't invite you and I'm sorry I missed your graduation...probably wasn't my best move," he mumbled, "I'm sorry I'll try my best not to keep you in the dark about something like this again."

"Can I asked you something?"

"Sure."

"Is she the one Chris?" Katelyn asked.

Chris smiled and nodded, "Yeah she is Katelyn...She's the one."

Katelyn smiled, "Good because if you elope again I'll kill you," she teased, "And I'm sorry I reacted the way I did...You're my brother and I hate feeling like I'm not a part of your life."

"Hey no matter what happens, you'll always be a part of my life, we're siblings, nothing will change that and I promise if you and Chandler ever decided to elope, I'll be your witness," He teased.

"Thanks but thanks to you, Chandler and I will have to have a wedding will all the bells and whistles to make this up to mom," she teased back.

He rolled his eyes and pulled her into a side hug.

No matter what happened he'd always be her brother and despite the fact that she didn't agree with every decision he made, Katelyn loved her brother just the same.