1. Hell in Hope County

John remembers when it happened, like it was yesterday. The way his palms started to sweat, the way his breath caught in his throat, the way he found it difficult to stay standing still, the way he found it hard to focus on anything else at all. He remembers the way his stomach felt like it was twisting in the most amazing way and he remembers the pain in his chest when she touched him instead.

John remembers her soft, natural, red hair pulled back into a neat braid giving him the perfect view of her face in the dimly lit church. Then there was her emerald green eyes that shone with curiosity and hope, even if her fear and nervousness was obvious.

John remembers exactly how she followed behind the Marshall and the Sheriff. How she focused on the Father and listened to the commands of her superiors.

"And I saw, behold. Whitehorse. And Hell followed with him" Joseph spoke directly and the junior deputy as he extended his arms out. Allowing her to cuff his wrists.

John remembers how the young woman hesitated and glanced back at the siblings who had just walked into place. Her gaze went to Jacob first; a large man, was clearly in the army, hard and cold. Then her gaze went to Faith; a young and beautiful woman who just made the air around her seem calm, still, peaceful.

Finally her gaze landed on John, he was hoping that he would catch her attention. He clearly is an attractive man, deep blue eyes and a teasing smirk. Everything about him was charming to the Rookie.

"Rookie...cuff this son of a bitch" the Marshall broke her out of her trance and she tore her gaze away from John, focusing on the task at hand.

She offered the siblings one last look before cuffing the Father. Just for a moment John thought that she might not do it, the look of doubt in her eyes as the metal clicked and locked caught his attention. The deputy placed a hand on the back of Joseph's shoulder and walked him towards the door, following her superiors. She took the chance and looked over her shoulder, making eye contact with John for a moment that felt like forever before the church doors shut.

John thought back to the moment when her face flushed after he smirked at her, still not breaking contact and he stood on the raised platform looking down at her. John knew that Joseph would return, after all God won't let them take him. He just wondered whether the young deputy would have to be sacrificed.

When he heard about the crash millions of emotions ran through his body, the reaping had begun. Thankfully Joseph was safe but when John heard that the others had managed to escape his body flooded with more unfamiliar emotions.

The three heralds managed to capture one each, John catching Hudson easily. They would use them as leverage over, who Joseph referred to as, Hell.

Sure the deputy didn't feel the instant pull towards John that he felt but she couldn't deny that there was something that attracted her to him. It must have been the eyes. She knew that those feelings were wrong so she repressed them when she started working with the resistance to take down the cult. After all, she hadn't even had a conversation with the sadistic baptist and she didn't plan to.  

The deputy became the designated hero of Hope County. She was like a ghost; one moment she had destroyed an outpost in the Whitetail Mountains, then she is burning hoard after hoard of angels in Henbane River, then John was informed that she was destroying his silos. That had crossed the line, and gave John the perfect excuse to send his men to bring her to him. To see those large hopeful green eyes again. Her fiery hair. And her reddened cheeks.

The deputy couldn't escape it. When she received the call from John she knew that she was going to get captured and what happens after that is uncertain. Even Dutch warned her about John's men coming for her, and Sharky freaked out before promising to protect her. Like she suspected they would, John's men got her. Shot with a bliss bullet which knocked her out almost instantly. There was no escape.

(Sorry for such a short chapter, the next one is going to be longer. And I have started work on a Joseph Seed story)