12. Back to Normal

Amelia sat at the bar, drinking from her glass of liquor. She had just been tasked with the job of destroying John's 'yes' sign on the mountain, liberating the Seed ranch, and recovering some supplies for the resistance. Of course, she agreed to do all of those things. Forcing a smile and faking a laugh.

She didn't expect a party for her return but maybe some genuine concern for her wellbeing. Nobody was mourning her disappearance and when she returned the only thing people wanted was her help. For her to risk her life for them again. She used to understand their struggle and desperation, she used to enjoy helping them despite the awful things that she had to too because it would all be worth it in the end...wouldn't it?

By now the whole of Hope County had heard about the deputy's return but nobody came to see her. They had their hero back. They had the deputy back and she would free them from the Seeds' control. In the end she would've just been another sacrifice and the thought was beginning to effect her.

She finally realised that the people of Hope County don't want Amelia, they don't like or care about Amelia, they want the deputy. They want the deputy because she can help them...they don't even know her real name and they don't care either...

"Hey Dep, you alright?" Mary May asked as she lent forward on the other side of the bar.

"Yeah, just having some 'me time' after being held captive by John for who knows how long" Rook let out a bitter laugh, sipping from her glass again.

"Must've been rough, it looks like you got cleaned up though" the bartender pointed out.

"John made me shower, said that I smelt and he didn't like it" Amelia lied slightly, knowing that it would be a mistake to let people know about what happened during her time at the Seed ranch.

"Creepy bastard. Anyway, how are your jobs coming along? We could really use some good news" she asked, sighing slightly.

"I tracked down those stolen supplies I will go and get them soon" the deputy sighed, her expression going blank again as they returned to the topic of the resistance. 

"And the sign?" the blonde woman asked, raising an eye brow. Is this all she cared about?

"I guess I could ask Nick if I could borrow his plane, shoot it down" Amelia shrugged, obviously uninterested by the conversation.

"And the ranch?" Mary May continued.

"I can handle the ranch" Amelia nodding before pausing, thinking over her options. "Actually...I think we should leave the ranch alone for a little while, the sign is going to piss him off enough" she reasoned.

"Isn't that the point though? We take his home from him like he took ours" the bartender exclaimed slightly, trying to convince the deputy to go through with the plan.

"Look, I have it handled and I will do this my way" the deputy warned her, raising her voice ever so slightly...enough to tell Mary May to back off.

"It sounds like John had done a real number on you, deputy. Perhaps you should talk to Pastor Jerome, he can restore your faith" Mary May frowned slightly but Amelia knew that she wasn't actually concerned for her...just for the hero of Hope County.

"Isn't faith the problem around here?" the deputy joked as she finished her drink and stood up from the bar.

"Not if it's the right faith...Look Dep, I know that it's hard to look on the bright side around here but Hope County is depending on you" Mary May reminded her as if it wasn't the only thing that she had been thinking about since she met the damn resistance.

"Yeah, I am aware. Thanks Mary May!" Amelia smiled as she walked out of the bar, sending the barkeep a friendly wave. The bartender frowned and shook her head as she watched the deputy left the bar.

Amelia stuffed her hands into the pockets of her jeans as she walked through the cool night air, lost in thought. She climbed into a truck, that a member of the resistance allowed her to use, and drove. She didn't really have a destination in mind, she just drove until she was in an open field. The deputy parked in the field before climbing out of the truck and walking around to the front of it, she lifted herself up onto the hood and lay on her back.

She held herself up on her elbows and sighed when she realised that she was staring right that John's "YES" sign. Amelia hummed before un-clipping her radio from her belt and turned it on, knowing that Dutch would want to talk to her.

She placed the radio down on the hood of the truck and looked at the stars that surrounded the large sign.