43. Jacob's Confession

"Deputy, you look so beautiful. I love that dress" Faith smiled and she practically skipped over to Amelia. Jacob watched them both with his arms crossed.

"Thank you Faith" Amelia smiled as Faith hugged her 'hello'. They pulled away from each other and Faith turned to Jacob, she smiled at him before just turning and leaving the room.

"John asked me to talk to you" Jacob stated as soon as Faith had left the room and the door closed. "He said that he wants us to get along" he explained and rolled his eyes, the things he does to keep his little brother happy.

"Oh, alright" Amelia nodded, feeling nervous and intimidated when Jacob walked over to her. He towered over her, and his gaze always seemed so hard and angry so it was difficult to see what he was thinking or feeling.

"John tells me story after story about you. From the very day you arrived in Hope County he has been telling me about you. First it was about how frustrating you were for destroying his silos and trying to liberate his region, then it was about how he captured you and how annoyingly stubborn you were, about how you seemed to actually be curious about his life, how you apologised when you disrespected us, how you actually returned to him willingly after he set you free, how you wanted to confess to him. He would always talk about how you said 'yes' to him. Then he would tell us about how you didn't actually like the resistance and how you were tired of fighting. Now he just tells me how serious you are about him and how you definitely aren't trying to kill us or betray us, how you left the resistance for us, for him" Jacob told her, not emotion clear on his face, as blank as always.

"He told you all of that?" Amelia asked nervously, she thought that John would keep all of that private.

"Yes, but don't get upset with him for spilling your secrets or anything. No matter how much we ask him about you, no matter how much Joseph asks about your confession or about your past, no matter how much we ask for even your name. He always tells us that it's not his information to share, that he won't tell us anything unless you give him permission" he assured her that all of her private information had remained private.

"Really?" she asked, smiling a little. It was good to know that John kept his promise and respected her decision to not share that information with his family.

"Yeah, and I have to admit that I think that I was wrong. When I said that he had you wrapped around his finger, I am beginning to think that it's the other way around" Jacob admitted, scoffing in amusement.

"What do you mean?" Rook asked, shifting slightly.

"Joseph is always asking John to bring you to church more often, to some how make you a believer, but John always refuses. He never said 'no' to Joseph before you came along" Jacob explained, smiling ever so slightly in amusement. "Honestly, that isn't such a bad thing. It's about time he stood up for himself against Joseph, he was the only person that John couldn't stand up to" he shook his head when he noticed her getting tense at his words, thinking that he meant it in a bad way, that he was concerned about her effect on John. Amelia was pleasantly surprised when she realised that Jacob was actually supportive of her effect on John and their relationship.

"If I didn't know any better, Jacob, I would think that you are actually starting to like me" Amelia teased, beginning to feel more comfortable and safe. She knew that Jacob was a dangerous man and she was intimidated by him, considering how he towered over her and always seemed so cold, but she knew that he wouldn't actually do anything to her because he was looking out for John.

"Like you? No. Dislike you a little less? Maybe. I am doing this for John, he obviously likes you a lot and he wants the family to like you. He knows that Joseph and Faith are fond of you, he believes that I am not" he explained, making it clear that he was only doing this for his little brother.

"Believes? Is he right?" Amelia asked, wondering if Jacob had actually warmed up to her.

"I admit that I have some respect for you, you are a soldier after all. I can't say that I like you or that I am fond of you but I can certainly act as if I am" he nodded.

"So, I have your approval?" the deputy asked with a small smile. She was genuinely asking but she was also teasing him just a little.

"Yes, but don't push it" Jacob rolled his eyes at her.

Before either of them could say anything else, the side doors opened and the three other Seeds walked into the room. John and Jacob shared a look before John found his place by Amelia's side. Joseph walked up to the front of the church and stood in the centre. Faith and Jacob walked over to one side of the church while John took Amelia's hand and walked her over to the opposite side.

Amelia had been to some of Joseph's sermons before, mainly to make Joseph and John happy, but this one felt different. She was never asked to dress up for church and the sermons were never described as 'important' so this was a new experience to her. She decided to just stay by John's side.

The front doors of the church opened and members of Joseph's flock began to flood in, taking their seats until the pews were full. Once the pews were full, the flock continued to enter and just stood at the back until there was no more space for people to fill.