18. Familiar Faces

Amelia lay in her bed, throwing the sheets over her head to block the sunlight coming in through the window. She was also trying to ignore the knocking on the door, she knew that John would eventually let his impatience get the better of him. She was right. The door of the guest bedroom was thrown open, banging off of the wall. "You are acting like a child" John scolded as he walked into the room, crossing his arms over his chest.

Amelia groaned and threw the sheets off of her body, sitting up and facing him. "For the last time, I am not going to the church" she rolled her eyes.

"Just get ready, we leave in half an hour. If you aren't ready, I will take you to the church exactly how you are now" he warned her before leaving the room and slamming the door shut. Seriously, when did he become her parent?

Amelia cursed before climbing out of bed, showering and getting dressed. She decided against the more typical church clothes and just picked out jeans, a tank top, and a plaid shirt to go over it. Rook walked down the stairs and met John by the room. "Ah, you did as I said" John smirked, placing his hands on her shoulders.

"Only because I don't want you dragging me to church in my pyjamas" Amelia scoffed and pushed his hands off of her shoulders.

"Good enough" he mumbled. "Do I need to cuff you or will you behave?" He asked and held up a pair of handcuffs.

"I will behave" she snarled. John smirked before grabbing her upper arm and dragging her out of the ranch. He pulled her towards the car and opened the passenger door, allowing her to climb in. John shut the door before walking around the car and climbing into the driver's seat.

The drive to the church was silent, Amelia was still mad about having to go to the church and John was frustrated from the arguing. The radio was playing some of the cult's songs as they drove towards the compound. Once they finally pulled up in the compound, parking a little way from the church, Amelia frowned and looked around at the cultists. Some where walking towards the church but most of them where just huddled in groups, talking as if it was just another day. For them it was.

John climbed out of the car and Amelia followed his lead, climbing out and meeting him at the front of the car. They both noticed the glares and whispers that Amelia was receiving but John ignored it. "I swear if one more fucking cultist-" Amelia hissed under her breath.

"Deputy. Behave" John ordered, placing a hand on her shoulder to guide her towards the church.

"I'm not a dog" Amelia snapped, rolling her eyes but following his lead anyway when he didn't respond to her. He walked her towards the church, pleased that she was cooperating with him.

Amelia froze when she saw a familiar figure sitting on a crate outside of the church. John looked down at her questioningly when she stopped walking, he raised an eyebrow as he followed her gaze. When he spotted what she was staring at, he frowned. Rook pushed John's hand off of her shoulder and ran over to the crate, the figure looked up when he heard footsteps approaching him. "Rook?" He asked before Amelia pulled him down from the crate, embracing him in a friendly hug.

"What happened Pratt? Why are you here?" Amelia asked, pulling away from him and examining his beat up face with a frown.

"Jacob said that you weren't going to come for me...why are you here?" Pratt's eyes where wide with shock and fear...maybe hope?

"It's a long story..." She sighed, hanging her head a little. She sensed Pratt tense and looked up at him, he was staring off behind her.

"Peaches! I told you to-deputy?" Amelia's eyes closed, trying to wish the voice away. "What do we have here Peaches?" Jacob asked as he approached from behind the woman. Jacob noticed Pratt's hopeful expression and chuckled darkly. "She isn't here for you Peaches, my brother has brought her here" the soldier informed him, making his face fall completely. Neither Amelia or Pratt spoke, just stared at Jacob. Amelia's gaze was much more stern and intense than Pratt's. "Peaches!" Jacob snapped before turning on his heel and walking away.

Pratt sent Amelia one last glance before scurrying after Jacob. She let out a breath that she didn't even realise she was holding, she turned around and jumped slightly when she was greeted with John's chest. "I told you to behave, that includes remaining by my side. Do not make a fool of me" John warned her.

"What did he do to him?" She asked angrily, John just raised an eyebrow asking her to explain the question. "Your brother! What did Jacob do to Pratt?" She asked again, a hushed snarl so not to attract any unwanted attention.

"Oh, yes. Your friend has become Jacob's pet project" John explained as he held he arm out to the woman. Amelia sighed before reluctantly wrapping her hand around John's arm, walking beside him towards the church doors. "My brother did plan on using him as leverage over you, I think that he plans on keeping him now that I got to you first" John hummed as he opened the front doors of the church, it was empty.

"He is not an animal" Amelia scoffed as the church doors closed behind them. She couldn't help but wonder how things would have gone if a different sibling got their hands on her first. Then she wondered whether her best option would be John.

"Look, Amelia. You can shout and rant and make a scene when we get home, but right now I need you to just play along" John sighed, holding Amelia in front of him by her shoulders.

"Why? What is going o-" she began to ask but was cut off by a door opening at the far end of the church. They both turned to the sound, John letting his hands fall back to his sides.

Faith seemed to glide into the room, followed by a familiar face. The Marshal followed her with a smile on him face. "John!" Faith smiled widely and walked over to him and the deputy. "I see that you brought the deputy with you" she smiled as she placed her hand on the deputy's shoulder. Amelia flinched away and stepped backwards, moving closer to John.

"Rookie!" The Marshal smiled as he walked over, embracing the woman in a friendly hug. Amelia was taken by surprise, her and the Marshal weren't that close, but she awkwardly hugged him back before he pulled away.

"Burke?" Amelia looked at him questioningly. "Are you alright? What did they do to you?" She asked, she has never seen him this...happy?

"I'm feeling great, better than ever actually. I was wrong, about taking down The Father, I am happy here. It is great here and you can be happy to, at peace. Just join us Rook" the Marshal smiled, taking Amelia's hands in his as he pulled her towards him. Faith smiled at them, hoping that Burke could convince the deputy, while John watched with a slight scowl.

"Burke, this isn't you. You have been drugged and-" Amelia began to talk, trying to pull him back into reality.

"-and she doesn't need to join you. She has joined me" John interrupted, taking hold of Amelia's arm and pulling her back to his side. "Faith if you don't mind" he looked at his sister and gestured towards the door.

"Of course, Joseph will be in soon to set up for the sermon. I will see you later John, see you later deputy" Faith smiled, waving politely, before walking out of the front doors of the church. Burke followed her out, smiling at Amelia as the door closed.

"Jealous much?" Amelia laughed and pulled her arm out of John's tightening grip.

"Don't be ridiculous" John shook his head before walking down the aisle of the church, followed by the smirking Amelia.