14. Returning

Amelia wondered how she managed to get into this situation, climbing in through an upstairs window of John Seed's ranch. She knew that there would be no cultists inside, since it was against John's rules, so she knew that it would be safe inside. She landed both feet on the hard wood floor of the guest bedroom.

She hummed curiously to herself before wandering over to the closet, opening it to reveal all of the clothes that John had got for her. Amelia smiled, pleased that he kept them whether he did it purposely or not. She closed the closet doors again before walking towards the bedroom door.

Once she got there, she took a deep breath before opening it and silently stepping through. She listened for any sign of movement but found none before walking through the ranch. She knew exactly where to go first, his office.

Standing in front of John's office door, Amelia took some time to reconsider what she was doing. She could walk in there and shoot him, ending this whole thing at least in this region. But that wasn't the plan at all. She practically had him at her mercy but that didn't matter.

Slowly, Amelia reached towards the handle of the office door. Not knowing that to expect. It had been a week since she was last at the ranch and she didn't know what would happen, what had changed, how John would react to her showing up.

She froze when the door opened before she could reach the handle, John standing in the door way and looking down at her. "Deputy?" He raised an eyebrow, obviously he wasn't expecting her.

"John" she responded, trying to sound confident and sure of herself. She pulled her hand back and let her arm fall to her side.

"I know that I said you would come back, but I didn't expect it to be so soon. Only a week and you show up in my home" John smirked, seemingly feeling pretty damn special right now.

"Why did you think I would come back here? Back to you?" Amelia asked, she had been wondering how he knew how she would feel after leaving the ranch. She wanted answers.

"When you were in the bunker you looked so lost, lacking any hope that you used to feel. Then your curiousness, your interest, your fascination, returned and I know how addicting that can feel. To be able to feel again. I knew that you would want that feeling to come back and I had a strong suspicion that I had something to do with that look in your eyes" John explained, smirking down at her. Then...he melted. There it was...that glimmer in her eyes that he saw in the church. There was hope...did he do that to her? Did he make her hopeful again? The thought was insane, but was there another explanation?

There was a silence as Amelia let his words sink in, why did he have this effect on her? John didn't disturb the silence but he did reach over to her and pulled the beanie off of her head, throwing it onto a table in the hallway. Amelia let the baptist tuck her hair behind her ears, he tilted her head as if he was expecting her to say something.

Amelia opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by her radio crackling to life. "Deputy? You there?" Dutch's voice came from the radio that was clipped to her belt.

John raised an eyebrow and let his arms fall to his sides, as Amelia took the radio in her hand and held it in front of her. She looked down at it before looking back up at John, debating whether she should answer or not. "Deputy" John spoke smoothly, holding his hand out for her to place the radio in. "Amelia" he spoke again, in the same tone, when she didn't respond.

The sound of her name coming from his lips made her meet his gaze again, before placing the radio in his extended hand. "Deputy? Hey, we need you" Dutch spoke again as the radio was passed over to the baptist. He accepted it with a small smile, he looked down at it and turned it off before tucking it into the pocket of his jeans.

Once again, there was a silence. John's gaze traveled down her body, taking in every detail. She wasn't as dirty as she was the first time she was at the ranch, but she was dirtier than when she left. John then placed his hand on Amelia's shoulder, making her tense. He slowly and gently, almost intimately, trailed his fingers down her arm. His fingers moved to her waist, drifting down it until his hand reached her hip.

John pulled her towards him ever so slightly, their chests almost pressed together. She just looked at him, waiting for his next move and he took this as some form of consent. His hand trailed past her hip and down her thigh, resting his hand on her thigh holster. He carefully pulled the handgun out of the holster and held it up beside his face as if to question her. "Did you plan on using this?" He asked, his voice quiet due to their close proximity.

"No, I didn't. It was just in case one of your men caught me" Amelia answered him in an equally quiet tone.

John nodded before turning and walking back into his office, placing the gun down on the corner of his desk. "Come on in" he turned back to her with a smirk, leaning backwards against he edge of his desk.

As the deputy walked towards him, John reached his hand out for her to take. Once she got close enough she placed her hand in his and he pulled her forward, towards him. Both of them could feel the increasing tension between them as the silence went on.

John's other hand moved forward, his fingers grazing over her outer thigh. He trailed his fingers up her thigh, over her hip, up her waist, over her shoulder, and landing his hand on her cheek. Amelia subconsciously leaned into his touch as she reached up with her free hand and lay it on his.

Amelia leaned into John's body, now pressed together and their lips hovering over each other's. They had kissed before but now Amelia is here willingly, this felt a little different. They both leaned towards each other until their lips met, moving together perfectly.

Once John was certain that she wasn't planning on pulling away, he held her face in both of his hand and deepened the kiss. Amelia was shocked by his sudden change in demeanour but ran her hands up his chest and wrapped her arms around his neck anyway. John quickly wrapped his arms around her waist as he spun her around and pressed her against the desk. As if they were reading each other's minds John lifted her onto the edge of the desk and Amelia assisted him by jumping onto the wooden surface. A few items, such as papers and stationary, fell onto the floor but neither of them cared about that right now.

Amelia held onto the back of John's neck as he stood between her legs, one hand on her waist and the other on her thigh. "I...want..." Amelia spoke between kisses, John smirked before moving to plant wet open mouth kisses against her jaw and neck. Waiting to hear her next word. "...to confess" she breathed out, pulled lightly on his hair.

John froze before pulling away and looking her in the eyes. That wasn't what he was expecting at all...