36. Hope County Jail

Amelia held onto John's arm as she guided him towards the jail, more than aware of the resistance members following behind them with their guns pointed at the baptist. As they got to the jail, they could hear the talking and whispering about how John had been caught. One resistance member even spat at him as they passed him, Amelia noticed his jaw clenching as he tried to keep his cool.

The deputy's grip on his arm tightened, wondering why nobody had handcuffed her or threatened her because she betrayed them. Surely, by now, Hudson had told everyone about what was going on between John and Amelia.

John kept a strong gaze and a small smirk on his lips, he knew that he wouldn't be here for long. He knew that Amelia would find a way to sneak them both out, she didn't want to be here either and he knew that. Amelia was amazed that she managed to get through the jail without anyone stopping her. She walked John to a room at the back of the jail, it most likely used to be an office or break room, but it had a lock so it was perfect. You would think that you could just use a cell, considering they are in a jail, but they were all being used as bedrooms now.

Two resistance members stayed with the pair as Amelia pushed John down into a wooden chair. She looked around the room before walking over to the table, this was obviously the room where they brought members of the cult to get information out of them. She picked up a roll of duct tape and walked back over to John, she uncuffed his wrists before duct taping them both to the arms of the chair.

"How the tables have turned, dear deputy" John smirked up at her, she just glared back at him before stepping backwards.

She winked at him before turning back to the resistance members. "Nobody touches him, I want to do this" she told them and they nodded, understanding that she would want her revenge.

"Isn't it cute when she gets protective" John teased, smirking as Amelia walked out of the room. The two Hope County Cougars stood outside of John's holding cell like guards, as the deputy made her way to find Whitehorse.

She walked into an open room, the walls decorated with cells, and saw Whitehorse talking to Hudson, Pratt and Burke. She approached them carefully, expecting one of them to put a gun to her head.

"Rook! Hudson said that John had you locked up" Whitehorse smiled widely when he saw the deputy walking over to them. Burke was still in a world of his own but Pratt looked at her with wide eyes and Hudson raised her eyebrow at her.

"...managed to get out" Amelia mumbled, glancing at Hudson as the sheriff hugged her. "But I got John, he is in one of the back rooms. I'm going to deal with him" she told him as they pulled out of the hug.

"John Seed is here? God damn deputy, you have out done yourself" Whitehorse smiled before being pulled away by an unfamiliar woman.

"You have no idea" Hudson mumbled as she walked over to Amelia. "What are you doing here?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"Some of the resistance spotted us, told me to cuff John and bring him here. Why haven't you told everyone about...us" Amelia asked.

"Because these people need hope. It would be better if they thought you were being held hostage rather than if you actually betrayed them willingly" she explained, shaking her head. "So, when are you going to sneak him out?" she asked, scoffing a little.

"I've got to. Jacob has already threatened my life" Amelia smiled, trying to joke slightly but instantly failing and regretting it.

"Right, don't hurt the baby brother. So what, do you guys just hang out? He take you meet the family?" Hudson asked in disbelief.

"Yes, he took me to meet them. I still don't believe in what they preach, I still don't agree with them, but I have to make compromises" the deputy tried to reason.

"Amelia...compromises are deciding where to go for dinner, not meeting the leaders of a doomsday cult" her co-worker scoffed.

"It's complicated" Amelia sighed, running her hand through her hair. "How is Burke?" she asked, looking over at he marshal who was singing to himself.

"They said he will be fine, they have ways of dealing with people who have been exposed to the bliss. They said that it was almost too late, he got here just in time" Hudson told her, sighing slightly.

"Good. I really hope that you all turn out alright" Amelia smiled sincerely, she still cared for these people.

"I know...that's why I can't hate you even thought I really want to" the dark haired woman sighed again. Even though Hudson wanted to hate Amelia with every fibre of her being, she just couldn't because she knew that the deputy still cared about them.

"I wouldn't blame you for hating me...but thank you" the deputy smiled.

"Don't mention it...just...Staci is really thankful for you getting him out of there. I am too, I just wish that it happened in a different way" Joey admitted.

"I wish that things were easier. I really am sorry, Joey" Amelia apologised again.

"I know, Amelia" Hudson sighed, turning to walk away but she paused, looking over her shoulder at the deputy. "At night, only the outer walls are guarded. It's a bad idea, but it should make it easier for your escape. I wish that you would stay, that we could give John a taste of his own medicine but I know that I can't change you mind...and I don't want anyone getting hurt" she explained herself.

"Thank you Joey" Amelia smiled, grateful for the information.

"Don't mention it" she nodded before walking away but she stopped again, turning back to Amelia. "Can I ask you a question?" Hudson asked with a look of genuine curiosity on her face, the deputy just nodded. "When does a monster stop being a monster?" She asked, obviously referring to John as the monster.

Amelia thought about her question, searching for a suitable answer. After some soul searching the answer came to her. "When you start to love him" Amelia answered, hanging her head slightly.

"I was afraid that you might say something like that" Hudson nodded sadly before wrapping her arm around Pratt's shoulders and guiding him away while some members of the resistance guided Burke out of the room.

"Hey! Deputy!" Amelia turned and saw a male member of the resistance walking up to her. "We searched John's car, nothing special. Just a hand gun and his coat, haven't checked the pockets" he told her, holding the coat and gun out to her.

"Thanks, I will search the pockets" she smiled, taking the items and walking away. She walked straight to John's holding cell and walked in, locking the door behind her. She looked around the room and saw that there were no cameras.

"I have a serious question" Amelia stated and walked over to the table at the side of the room.

"And what would that be?" John asked, she could feel his gaze scanning her body.

"Does your coat have little planes on it?" she asked with a small smile, placing the gun down on the table and holding the coat out in front of her.

"Yes, it does" he answered, raising an eyebrow at her.

"That's adorable" Amelia teased with a smile on her face, she looked at John and saw that he was just smiling back at her. "So...I've got a plan to get out of here" she told him.

"Of course you do, you're the deputy. I had no doubt" his smile grew, wishing that he could wrap his arms around her.