22. Rearranging

Amelia woke up in a warm embrace, the warm embrace of John the Baptist. As she buried her face into his chest she realised that her guilt was fading, her guilt of abandoning the resistance was leaving her. However, her guilt for her co-workers remained. Here she was, in a warm and safe ranch in the arms of John himself, and her friends were either left on their own in pain, scurrying after their new 'master', or too drugged to even comprehend what is happening.

All of those thoughts evaporated when she felt John stirring beneath her, he arms tightened around her and his lips lingered on the top of her head for a moment. Amelia smiled to her self and shifted, looking up at the blue eyed man. She knew that she couldn't look at him the same now. Of course she knew that he was still the sadistic baptist that strapped her to that chair, but now he was also a man with a tragic life story, a man who truly thinks that he is doing the right thing with his family, the people he loves the most.

That thought made Amelia feel guilty all over again. They both knew that Amelia couldn't fully forgive his family, but she remembers how rude she was at the church. She didn't feel bad for what she said, she didn't care about their opinions of her, but she realised that if she wanted something with John then she would have to at least be civil with his family. John's family is everything to him and she refuses to be in the way of that or to harm their relationship, she didn't want John to curse her for that. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices, in this case it is to be friendly with the leaders of a doomsday cult.

When she looked up to him their eyes met, he was already looking down at her. There was a moment of acceptance between the two, knowing that they had both opened up to each other in ways that neither of them were truly comfortable with. Amelia decided against mentioning last night or his past, it would be better to just let it be and start a new day.

"I'm sorry" Amelia apologised, causing John's face to fall.

"What for?" He asked carefully, obviously not wanting to have to remember his past again.

"For how I acted at the church. I was angry at them and at you, I didn't think about how they are your family and that I should at least try to get along with them" she sighed, admitting that she should take some of the blame.

"Nothing to apologise for darling, I understand it will be difficult for you" he assured her, leaning down and kissing her gently before pulling away. Amelia couldn't help but blush at the nickname, from what she can remember this was the first time that he called her something like that.

"It is...but I want to try harder...I will pretend to like your family, to make you happy" she smiled at him, lifting her self up to kiss him gently before pulling away from him, sitting up and slipping out of the bed.

"Where are you running to, deputy?" John asked teasingly as he sat on the edge of the bed.

"I'm hungry, get changed and I will make some food" Amelia chuckled as she left the room. She had told him to get changed as she noticed that he was still wearing the same clothes from last night.

Amelia had gone down to the kitchen and had begun making food, and John had gone to his bedroom to get changed. Taking some extra time to sort some things out, suspecting that Amelia wouldn't object to his reorganising.

After showering and getting dressed, John walked down the stairs and headed into the kitchen. He stopped in the doorway and lent against the doorframe, crossing his arms over his chest and enjoying the view. Amelia was still wearing her white tank top and a pair of shorts that she slept in, and her hair was a mess from sleeping but she still looked absolutely ravishing. He smirked to himself and watched her hips swaying slightly as she cooked, blissfully unaware that she was being watched. It took all of John's will power to not pin her against the kitchen counter.

Amelia dished the food onto two plates before spinning around with them in her hands. "Are you just going to stare at me or are you going to eat?" She asked as she placed the plates down on the table.

John didn't reply he just sat down at the table, sitting opposite her. They ate in silence, but Amelia could feel that John kept looking at her. After eating and cleaning up, Amelia headed towards the stairs. "I'm going to go shower and get dressed" she announced.

John just nodded before realising that he should tell her about his new arrangement. "Amelia" he purred as he wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her body into his. "Shower and get changed in my room" he told her.

"John stop being creepy" she chuckled, her cheeks heating up as she tries to push him away.

"No, I mean that I moved your things into my room. I assumed that you wouldn't mind" he hummed but was only greeted with silence. "Any objections?" He asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"No...none at all" she smiled softly, allowing the lawyer to pull her into a kiss.

Amelia wrapped her arms around his neck as she kissed him back, tangling her fingers in his damp hair. He hummed in approval as she tugged slightly, sliding his hands up her waist making her tank top rise with his hands. His rough hands found the bare flesh of her waist.

"I'm going to shower" she smiled as she pulled away from him, turning and hurrying up the stairs and to the bathroom.

John regained his composure, frowning a little at her sudden urge to leave. Amelia locked the bathroom door and rested her forehead against be wooden door, trying to get her heart rate to return to normal.