41. You're Starting to Ramble

The next morning Amelia woke up, squinting as the sun coming from the window hit her eyes. She groaned and buried her face in John's chest, trying to block the light out. The baptist hadn't woken up yet but felt her shift and nuzzle further into him, he hummed softly in his sleep as pulled her closer and buried his face in her hair. About half an hour later Amelia woke up again, this time climbing out of bed. She looked back at John and smiled, considering he was the sadistic baptist of Hope County he looked so innocent when he was sleeping. His dark hair was falling over his face instead of his usual slicked back style, his face seemed so peaceful, and he just looked so comfortable and content wrapped in the sheets.

Amelia smiled before heading straight down stairs, realising how long it had been since either of them had eaten something. She made some food and as she was finishing cooking, she heard John walking down the stairs and towards her. John walked into the kitchen with wet hair and only wearing pyjama pants, obviously he had just got out of the shower. She smiled at him as she placed the plates of food down on the table. "I'm so hungry" Amelia groaned as they sat opposite each other at the table. The last time the pair had eaten was yesterday morning, about twenty four hours now. She looked up at John when he never responded, just to make sure that he was alright, but he was just looking at her and smiling. "What? Why are you looking at me like that?" Amelia asked, laughing softly as she returned to her breakfast.

"It's nothing, don't worry about it" John assured her, shaking his head, still smiling as he began to eat his breakfast. He still couldn't get the sound of her saying 'I love you' out of his head. It was clear to him now that she didn't recall ever saying those words so he pondered on whether he should mention it, and how he should mention it.

Amelia looked at him, a little confused but decided to drop it. Maybe he is just happy to be home and out of the jail. She decided that it didn't really matter, they were safe and happy so they were perfectly fine.

After eating, John offered to clean up, which is pretty out of character for him but she just let him get on with it. After he finished cleaning up, he walked into the lounge where Amelia was sitting. She was curled up in the armchair with a book on her hands.

She was just reading the book, finding it nice to just relax again. She frowned and glared up at John when he took the book from her hands. "Hey! I was reading that" she sulked and crossed her arms over her chest.

"I could see that, however this is more important" John smirked as he placed her book down on the coffee table.

"It better be" she raised an eyebrow, leaning back in her chair and looking up at him.

"Well, I was trying to talk to you about it last night but you kept telling me to leave you alone and to let you sleep" he told her, sighing in frustration.

"To be fair I was tired" Amelia defended herself, shrugging and shifting to get comfortable.

"I know and that's fine, but I want to talk to you about it now. I don't even know if you remember anything that you said last night" John began to speak, his words coming out a little too fast and his eyebrows knotting together.

"John, you're starting to ramble" she informed him, smiling a little in amusement. Then she realised that it was pretty uncommon for John to ramble, he normally spoke a lot but didn't actually ramble.

"Amelia, shut up, I am trying to tell you something" he sighed, running his hand through his hair and glaring at her slightly.

"Alright, sorry" she apologised, suddenly worried that something might actually be wrong. She uncrossed her arms and lent forward in her seat, looking up at John.

"You said something last night that got me thinking, I wondered about it and I came to a realisation" John started, silently cursing himself when he realised how formal that sounded. He knew that he wasn't always great with this but he is normally better than this. He looked down at Amelia and saw the curiosity in her eyes, she wanted to know what he had to say. She loved him...

John was more sure than ever, he loved her. She was the only one who could make him feel this way. "I love you" he just stated, realising that it didn't need a huge build up, he just needed to tell her.

Amelia just stared at him as she processed his words, she definitely didn't expect him to say that. "What?" She asked, still in disbelief.

"I said that I love you" John repeated, knowing that she had heard him properly.

"No, I heard you...I just..." Amelia stammered, unsure of how to respond, she didn't expect him to just confess his love to her. John always seemed like the person to make a scene out of these sorts of things, but then again he was expressing new and confusing emotions. She understood that he might want to say it in a private, relaxed and comfortable environment.

"You told me that you loved me last night, I didn't tell you that I loved you because I didn't know how to say it. I tried to tell you last night but you were sleeping" he informed her, pretty certain now that she didn't remember what she said last night.

"I never said...oh..." Amelia stopped, her face turning red as she remembered her confession from last night.

"Oh?" John asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

"I didn't realise that I actually said that out loud" Amelia groaned and hid her face in her hands, blushing and cursing herself for her stupidity.

John chuckled before taking her hands in his, moving them away from her face. He smiled at her, admiring the light blush on her cheeks. "I love you too" Amelia smiled before leaning forward and wrapping her arms around his neck. John smiled into her neck as he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her up from the chair and holding her against him in a secure and loving embrace. They both felt as if this was the start of something special, something that would be good for both of them.