39. Three Little Words

John lay on his back on the sofa in the main lounge of the ranch, Amelia draped over him with her head on his chest. They had a thin blanket draped over their bare bodies. "So, how public do you want to go with this?" Amelia asked, sounding worn out, as she traced delicate patterns on his chest with her fingers.

John smiled as his hand ran up and down her waist, his other arm behind his head to help prop himself up and for his comfort. "Amelia, if I could, I would show you off to the world. I would tell everyone that you are mine and that they can't have you" John confessed, Amelia smiled and craned her neck to look up at him. She gently kissed his bearded jaw before burying her face in his chest again.

"Well, we might not be able to tell the world, but we can start with Hope County" Amelia smiled into his chest, letting her eyes fall closed as she relaxed.

"Would you be alright with the whole of Hope County knowing" he asked, running his fingers through her hair, the hair that he loved so much.

"I thought that I was going to loose you, I am more than certain that I want people to know about us. I don't care what anyone thinks, I have you" she said honestly. After this awful day, she was content with everyone knowing about their relationship. It was actually quite nice to know that this was real now, and being open and public with it would only make it more real. For Amelia, it was both exciting and terrifying.

"Of course you have me, you will always have me" John whispered, kissing the top of her head and wrapping his arm around her tighter.

"I love you" Amelia mumbled as she nuzzled into his chest and fell asleep. John froze as he stared down at her, shock written all over his face. He didn't think that three little words could have such an impact, he never thought that he would hear those words. At least, not directed at him.

Nobody had told John that they loved him before, nobody other than Joseph but that was different. Joseph says 'I love you' to every member of his flock. But Amelia only said to him, to John. Those words, that sentiment, were aimed at him and only him. John slowly wrapped both of his arms around her body and held her against him, like he didn't want to let her go, like she could just disappear.

He closed his eyes and focused on the feeling of her body against his, the feeling of her hair tickling his skin in the most welcoming way. Then another thought entered his mind; he had never said those words to anyone.

Alright, he had told Joseph and Jacob that he loved them when they were children, but that is different. Their love was brotherly and innate, they've depended on each other their whole lives. But telling Amelia that he loved her would be a whole new level of commitment and intimacy. It was strange because he had called her 'his' on multiple occasions and had told her that he wasn't going to leave her, but 'I love you' was different.

"I-I lov-" John began to whisper but was interrupted by a knock at the door. He shot up into a sitting position, cradling Amelia against his chest as she woke up due to his sudden movement.

"Wh-what's going on?" Amelia asked, slowly waking up and wrapping the blanket around her chest more securely.

"Somebody is at the door" John told her as he pushed her down onto the sofa and stood up, grabbing his clothes and quickly getting dressed. "Go upstairs, I'll get the door" he assured her as she stood up, wrapping the blanket around her. She grabbed her discarded clothing before hurrying up the stairs and walking straight into the bedroom.

John finished dressing and smoothed his hair down, before walking towards the front door. He took a breath and checked his appearance on last time before opening the door, instantly greeted by his three siblings. As soon as Jacob saw his youngest brother, he let out a small chuckle as he shook his head and crossed his arms over his chest. Faith took in John's appearance before shaking her head dismissively and smiling at him. Joseph looked at his younger brother, seemingly unfazed, and smiled.

"What are you all doing here?" John asked as he stepped aside, allowing them to enter the ranch.

"We heard that you were captured by the resistance, we were also informed about your return to the ranch. What happened John?" Joseph asked as the three walked in. John shut the door behind them and joined them walking to the lounge.

John sat down in one of the armchairs while Faith and Joseph sat on the sofa, Jacob looked between John and the sofa before choosing to sit in he other armchair. "We were taking Am-the deputy's co-workers to the jail and a couple resistance members found us. They just held me in a room for the day, once night came the deputy and I escaped" John told them, leaning back in his hair. Trying to ignore that he nearly let Amelia's name slip.

"They didn't capture the deputy?" Jacob asked, raising an eyebrow.

"They weren't aware that she wasn't on their side, they thought that she was still working with them. But on the bright side; we got her co-workers there safely" John nodded, assuring Joseph that the job was done and assuring all of them that Amelia is on their side now.

"Where is the deputy?" Faith asked, her usual sweet smile on her face.

"Showering, I think. She's just tired after today" the youngest brother informed them, smiling slightly, noticing the way Jacob shook his head with an amused look in his eyes.