5. There You Are

"Ah, you're awake-deputy?" John voice rang through the room, but became questioning when he saw the woman hunched over on the floor.

John walked over, maintaining a calm demeanour even if he found himself actually worried on the inside. He crouched down beside her and helped the deputy sit on the edge of the bed. "Perhaps you shouldn't walk just yet" John smirked at her and she scoffed, is he actually amused by this?

"Perhaps you should just let me go" Rook raised an eyebrow, shifting on the bed to sit in a more comfortable position.

"Very well deputy, you may leave. Just walk out the door" John shrugged and stood aside, gesturing towards the open bedroom door.

Rook looked at the door, then down at her bandaged thigh, then back at John. She couldn't make it to the door, not yet anyway. "Just what I thought, how does some food and drink sound?" John asked but Rook just raised a quizzical eyebrow. "I have to make sure that you are in good enough condition to confess to all of your sins" he shrugged before walking towards the door. "Don't go anywhere" John teased before leaving the room.

The deputy cursed to herself, how did she end up trapped in John Seed's ranch without a single restraint? She manoeuvred herself so that she was sitting against the headboard and her legs lay straight on the bed. Rook decided that if she was going to be stuck at the ranch, she might as well get some food and water out of it.

It only took a few minutes for John to return with a tray, carrying a plate of toast and a glass of water. He walked over to the deputy with a blank expression as he placed the tray on her lap. "You stink, you should shower" John commented, as if he was trying to recover from his some what kind acts.

"Ah yes, and I would love to shower when I can stand up on my own and actually have running water" Rook snapped slightly as she began to eat some of her toast.

"Well the bathroom is right here, with your running water" John informed her as he opened the door to the en-suite bathroom. "There is also a bath if you can not stand for that long, shall I send somebody up to assist you?" he offered.

"No, do not do that. I will be fine, I can shower myself" Rook assured him with a glare.

John smirked ever so slightly as he walked towards the bedroom door. "There are fresh clothes in the closet" he informed her before shutting and locking the bedroom door.

Rook watched him leave, knowing not to take his unusual gentleness and care for granted. She took her time eating her food and drinking her glass of water, wanting to savor it. After eating she placed the tray on the bedside table and hung her legs over the edge of the bed again. This time she tried to stand up a bit slower, bracing her self by holding onto the edge of the bed. Once she was on her feet she found her balance easily and smiled a little when she stood up without the support of the bed.

Ever since she started her attempt of liberating Hope County she has been getting stronger and recovering from her injuries faster, much to her benefit. She walked, well limped, carefully and slowly towards the bathroom.

She locked the bathroom door and stripped down before climbing into the shower. After showering Rook re-bandaged her thigh with some bandages in the bathroom cabinet and wrapped a towel around her body before walking back into the guest bedroom. She slowly made her way over to the closet.

The deputy opened it to reveal a closet filled with men's clothes, most likely old clothes that John doesn't wear anymore. She hesitantly picked out a pair of navy blue boxers, black jeans, a leather belt, and a white tee shirt. She put her new outfit on before piling her dirty clothing into a heap beside the door with her towel.

Rook hummed before walking over to the window, thinking about her chances of leaping and surviving. She has survived worse...right? She jumped at the sound of the bedroom door opening and footsteps walk in. "Jumping wouldn't be the best decision you've made" John commented before closing the door behind him. The deputy turned to face John with a stern expression.

John took the time to take in her clean appearance. Her fiery hair was slicked back against her head, now completely clean just like the rest of her. John also had to admit that the deputy looked amazing in his clothes, better than he imagined she would.

"There you are" he smirked, his voice just little louder than a whisper as he approached her. "Do you remember your first day in Hope County?" John asked, still approaching her. Every time he stepped towards her she stepped back until she was completely pressed against the wall and window.

"Of course I do" she answered a little too quietly and refused to meet his gaze.

"You walked through those doors and changed everything...Joseph referred to you as Hell and I wondered how such a young woman with such hopeful eyes could be our downfall. Now I see what Joseph saw. Your soul is tainted by sin, you simply hid it well" John hummed as he reached over and cupped her jaw, holding her head in place to make eye contact.

"You have no idea who I am and you know nothing about me" Rook spat, shaking her head as much as she could in his hold.

"That is why you need to confess, to tell me everything and then you can reach atonement" John whispered, almost comfortingly. Rook glanced to the side, refusing to give in to him.

"You seem to have some of your strength back. Jump from the window if you wish, or meet me downstairs where we can begin your confession" John ran his thumb over her jaw before turning and leaving the room, this time leaving the door open.