28. Visiting The Family

That weekend John and Amelia got ready to go and meet the rest of the Seed siblings at the cult compound. Amelia was a little nervous to be walking into the home of the enemy again but by this point it was just another day to her. John led her out of the ranch and to the car, he wanted to hold her hand and show everyone they passed who she belonged to but he knew that it wasn't an option. They couldn't know about their relationship, nobody would approve of it.

They drove to the compound, John's hand placed firmly on Amelia's thigh for the whole ride and her hand on his. "Alright. Try to avoid the topic of religion, the resistance, and our relationship" John advised as they pulled up to the house at the back of the compound.

"The first one might be difficult with your brother" Amelia raised an eyebrow at him.

"That's a fair point, but please try not to offend him" John parked the car and looked at her pleadingly.

"John, I told you that I would try to get along with them. Don't worry" she smiled at him to reassure him.

"Alright, if anything goes wrong just come to me and I will sort it out or make an excuse to leave" he assured her, squeezing her knee slightly.

"Got it" she nodded confidently. John smiled before looking around, making sure nobody was around. Once he was certain that nobody was able to see them, he leaned over to the passenger seat and kissed her firmly, letting his lips linger before pulling away. Amelia happily returned the kiss until he pulled away.

They both climbed out of the car and walked up to the front door of the house, resisting the urge to intertwine their fingers together. John knocked on the door and it soon opened to reveal Joseph, the preacher smiled brightly and opened his arms with the intent of embracing John but paused when he noticed the woman beside his younger brother. "Deputy? I am delighted that you decided to join us" Joseph continued to grin. Amelia smiled back politely.

"Good morning Joseph" John greeted his brother and the preacher pulled him into a short brotherly hug before letting him go.

"Please, come on in, the others will be thrilled that you are here" Joseph smiled at Amelia as the three of them walked into the house, the door being closed behind them.

"Why did you invite me over?" John asked him brother, glancing at Amelia to make sure that she was alright.

"There had been so much chaos recently and our family has been so busy. We need to return to our old ways, to our old traditions before the reaping began. I thought that we could start with just getting the family together, but of course the deputy is always welcome" Joseph explained, smiling at Amelia again before leading them into the living room.

"I just don't think that bliss is the best method of conversion" Jacob spoke as the three walked into the room.

"Brother, we all have different methods of spreading the truth. Faith's method is just as effective as yours or John's" Joseph told Jacob and Faith smiled at the defence she received from the Father.

"Deputy, I'm so glad that you could make it" Faith smiled brightly as she practically skipped over to Amelia.

"Hello Faith" Amelia smiled politely again, resisting the urge to pull away when Faith took her hands in hers.

"I knew that you would see things our way, that you would understand and accept the truth" the siren's smile never faded, even when Amelia just nodded at her.

"John, may I speak with you?" Joseph asked his younger brother. John tensed a little, nervous to leave Amelia alone with Jacob and Faith. "Faith and Jacob shall take you on a tour of the compound, deputy" Joseph told her as he led John out of the room.

Jacob stood from his seat and walked towards the front door, Faith giggled as she took hold of Amelia's hand and guided her over to the door. The three walked out of the door and began to walk around the compound in silence, Amelia tried to ignore Faith's gentle hold on her hand. The deputy walked between Jacob and Faith, the younger sister never releasing her hand.

"You lasted longer than most women would" Jacob commented flippantly.

"What are you talking about?" Amelia asked, trying to remain respectful as she remembered the promise that she made with John.

"I'm not stupid or naive, I am sure that my siblings can see it too. The way that John looks at you, the way that you don't flinch away from his touch. When did he finally get you into bed?" the soldier asked as he guided her through the empty compound.

Amelia was lost for words, she just looked up at him with wide eyes and her mouth slightly agape. Jacob chuckled lowly at her reaction, and she found herself leaning into Faith's comforting and reassuring touch. "Let me guess, he told you not to tell anyone? You two couldn't be more obvious" he rolled his eyes. "Don't worry about it, even if Joseph knows he won't punish John for it" Jacob shrugged.

"...why wouldn't he?" Amelia asked, trying not to sound to obvious or embarrassed.

"Because John is the little brother, the one we look out for and protect. John can get away with pretty much anything, even when Joseph found out about Holly. He didn't lay a finger on either of them, even if they were breaking one of the main rules of the project" he explained as the three of them entered the compound's gardens.

"Holly?" Amelia asked. Faith suddenly looked between Jacob and Amelia, as if she was begging Jacob to just stay quiet.

"John never told you about her?" Jacob let out an amused scoff. "Yeah, Holly and John were not exactly a secret but Joseph never did anything about it. Holly even still lives in the compound, John is always the exception. Not that it bothers me, he is my brother after all" he explained slightly.

"Well me and John aren't like him and Holly" Amelia shook her head, hoping that somebody would change the conversation topic.

"Yeah, sure you're not" Jacob scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"We're not. I haven't slept with him" the deputy defended herself, refusing to give Jacob the satisfaction.

"Deputy, surely you respect me enough to not lie to my face" Jacob asked, looking down at her with a raised eyebrow.

"I don't respect you at all" Amelia scoffed, frustrated with the way he was acting and bugging her. She knew that Jacob was trying to irritate her, that just made it worse.

"Then why are you here? For John? To make him happy? He has you wrapped around his finger, doesn't he?" He asked, a slightly amused look in his eyes.

"Jacob, leave her alone" Faith scolded before taking Amelia's hands in hers and making her face her. "Don't listen to him. I've seen the way that John looks at you, it's not the way he looked at Holly. He never brought her around to meet us. Jacob is cynical, John isn't using you" she tried to reassure the deputy, Jacob was already shaking his head and walking away.

Amelia never replied, unsure of who to believe. "I will take you back to the house, I am sure that John will remind you why you are here" she smiled softly, taking Amelia's hand in hers again and walking her back to the house.

Just curious, what is everyone's thoughts on polyseed??