8. Past Lawyer

Yesterday, John had released Amelia from her restraints and she was enjoying her new found freedom. She was allowed to wander the ranch as long as she stayed inside, it was actually a nice home and she found herself oddly comfortable. John had even gone and got her some clothes, the usual jeans, tee shirts and plaid shirts. Amelia was a little concerned that with every passing day, the ranch began to feel more and more like a home to her.

It was sometime in the evening when she went wondering through the ranch again. It could get lonely with her only company being John Seed himself, perhaps that is why she found herself standing outside of his office when she knew that he would be in there.

Amelia didn't even knock before opening the door and quietly stepping in, closing it behind her. It was strange that she was beginning to admire John, not for what he does or his beliefs, but for him just being him. The way he focuses on the stacks of papers in front of him even though he looks bored out of his mind, the way he is so dedicated to his family, the way he looks when he is deep in thought, the way he glances at her when he thinks that she isn't looking, the usual passion in his voice, and the confusing depths of his eyes. It was hard not to admire him.

John only glanced at the woman, when she walked into the room, before returning his attention to his work. "What do you do exactly?" Amelia asked and she walked further into the room.

"What do you mean?" John asked, not bothering to look up at her as he worked.

"You are 'the baptist', right? So, what is with all the paperwork?" she asked as she walked towards his desk.

"It's legal documents for...everything" John sighed as he filled through some papers, sounding bored and almost overworked.

"Legal documents? Why is that your job?" she asked, tilting her head and leaning forward on the large wooden desk.

John looked at her again before sighing. "I was a lawyer" he told her before burying his head back into his work.

"A lawyer? So that's why your family gets away with so much, you are able to find legal loopholes" Amelia smiled slightly, not expecting the sadistic baptist to have been an amazing lawyer before helping run a cult.

"You are talking about my family, remember" John warned, placing his pen down and looking across his desk at the woman.

"Right, sorry. Were you any good?" she apologised before sitting down in the chair opposite his on the other side of the desk.

"Top of my class, was an associate of a major law firm, and I was one of the fastest rising lawyers in Atlanta" he told her, enjoying that look of almost admiration in her eyes. And there it was again, the look of curiosity in her eyes that edged towards fascination.

"Sounds a bit like pride there, John" the woman smirked, crossing her arms over her chest as she leaned back in her seat.

"I am simply telling you the truth" John shook his head, smiling ever so slightly. Now his full attention was on Amelia.

"I guess being a big shot lawyer explains it..." she laughed softly to herself and shook her head.

"Explains what?" John asked, leaning his elbows on the wooden desk, and raised an eyebrow at her.

"Don't take this the wrong way or anything but everything about you screams rich guy" Amelia pointed out, laughing to herself again. She was a little scared about how comfortable she was beginning to feel around him, that is until he has one of his outbursts.

"I admit that I had a taste for the...finer things in life" he paused for a moment, trying to find the right word to use. Amelia couldn't help but notice the way his voice faltered and the way he hesitated on the word 'finer'.

"Had? By the looks of it you still do" she teased, glancing over his body quickly.

"How so?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Well you are the most well dressed and well groomed out of your brothers" Amelia shrugged. John smirked slightly, feeling a warm feeling in his chest. Maybe it was pride or maybe it was...something else.

There was a pause, the silence was a little uncomfortable and Amelia began fidgeting due to nerves and the one thing that had been playing on her mind. "Are you going to make me confess?" she asked a little abruptly, catching John's attention.

"I know that forcing the confession out of you won't work...however, you will confess and it is going to be...amazing" John exclaimed, throwing his arms up in the air and leaning back in his chair with a sinister grin.

"I'm sure..." Amelia mumbled before standing up and walking towards the door.

"Amelia" John called out to her. She froze slightly, not used to hearing anyone say her name never mind John Seed. She turned back to him and saw him crossing his arms over his chest and smirking. "Why did you come in here?" he asked, looking genuinely confused and curious.

"Well...I...I was bored" she shrugged, being completely honest with him.

"Well I am glad that I can entertain you" John winked. Amelia just nodded before turning and leaving the room, trying to hide how flustered she was.