Twenty-six

English teacher: It was crap trying to get out of that habit

*Ronnie walks into the classroom*

English teacher: Speaking of crap, how you doin' Ronnie?

Y/n POV

Being out late on Friday nights has become a regular thing. Occasionally, it was on school nights. Sneaking out to meet Ethan somewhere was a little thing we did, and no one knew about it. We made sure there were no mistakes made like the first time we met up.

Usually, it wasn't that big a deal. It was always at a place like the park, or that ice cream place. But tonight we're sneaking into the school. Ethan said he stole his dad's keys and he'll meet me by the gym doors. Before I knew Ethan personally, I thought of him as the class angel who intimidated everybody. The intimidation thing hasn't changed, he still sends his harsh looks around frequently, but the angel part of it has definitely changed.

I've gotten closer to his friends and family in the last two weeks as well. The twins, Quinton and Grey, are insane. The two rarely got along, but when they did, they wanted to do something crazy. Last Wednesday, the two was on his skateboard while chasing cars and shooting his nerf gun bullets at them, earning an earful of yelling from their parents. Keegan is fine, but she can get annoying times. Andrew is my favorite out of the four siblings. He never failed to get someone to laugh, something Ethan and him had in common.

It was freezing tonight, being the 19th of December. I didn't have that many layers, only a long sleeve and a hoodie over it. I couldn't feel my fingers, but I didn't care much. I was close to the school anyway, it will be warmer in there. White flakes of snow have been falling for a couple of hours. The roads have already been cleared and salted over so it was safe to drive for tomorrow.

Tomorrow, instead of hosting SGD again, Ethan and his family are going to be working at the community center for a Christmas dinner and invited me to come along. After hearing through a giggling mess of Keegan's voice that Ethan had to dress up as Santa and talk to annoying children, I had to go. But I can't just stand around. I will be helping Ethan with the children dressed as an elf. Yay.

"Hey!" Ethan giggles, running up from behind me and picking me up. A yelp escaped my mouth before I fully realized it was Ethan, then I became more relaxed.

"Ethan!" I giggle. As he ran, still holding me, I could hear the keys smacking against each other.

With a big smile, Ethan sets me down. His breath was visible as he inhaled and exhaled deeply, clearly put of breath. "What, I'm too heavy for you?" I joke, slapping his chest.

"No," Ethan breathes out, shaking his head. "I just left late and didn't want to keep you waiting in the cold so I ran all the way here."

"The whole way?" I raise a brow.

"Yes but no!" Ethan giggled, still struggling to catch his breath. "I took a few breaks. But I saw you walking up the same time I got here so I ran towards you."

Ethan began walking towards the gym doors, searching through the keys for the right one.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" I asked timidly, slowly trailing behind him.

"It's fine, Y/n." Ethan nodded, pushing the correct key in the lock, twisting it.

"What if they see us through the cameras?"

Ethan chuckles, turning to me while pushing the door open. "There are no cameras in the gym. Besides, no one checks those things." His smirk only grows as he stares at my hesitant eyes, slowly pushing the door in wider and taking steps inside.

"Everything will be fine, come on!" Ethan smiles kindly, waiting for me to go in before him.

Slowly I walk inside the dark, empty school gym. Ethan came in beside me and shoved the keys back in his pocket, the string attached to it hanging out. I shove my hands back in my pockets of my hoodie, looking around the room. Seeing it so dark and empty was an odd sight. I'm used to seeing everyone sitting in their groups on the bleachers with huge smiles across their face, talking loudly, filling the room with so much noise. The gym was always either bright with smiles or full of air of the teenagers who just ran laps.

Ethan stood behind me for a second before placing his chin on top of my head. "See? Its not that bad."

"I can't help but feel like someone is going to walk in at any second." I giggle.

"Don't worry, it'll be fine!" Ethan grins, walking towards the doors separating the hallway and the gym. Once he got to the double doors, he flicked the lights on, eliminating the darkness. Ethan looks around, soft giggles of excitement coming loose.

I chuckle, looking at the excited Ethan as he walked calmly towards the equipment room. "Why do I get the feeling you've done this before?"

"I have, but it was with my dad." He shrugs. The eco's of our voices made me want to quiet down, thinking someone would hear.

After a few seconds of silence, a ball slamming against the floor loudly filled the large room. Turning around, I see Ethan bouncing a basketball while walking towards the middle of the room, which is where I was standing. Once he is next to me, he smirks at me.

"Wanna play?" He asks, spinning the ball between his hands.

A small nervous laugh escapes me. "I don't know how. I watch it all the time, but that doesn't mean I can play."

"Its not that hard," Ethan shrugs.

"For you! I grew up doing this!" I grin, pointing at the ball.

He glances at the net, shrugging. "Who says you can't learn?"

I didn't answer. I honestly didn't know what to say. Instead of words, I shook my head, looking towards the goal, the grin still visible on my face. Ethan looks back at me and smiles. "C'mon," Ethan nods toward the goal, beginning his way towards it. Raising a brow, I follow him. He stops a few feet in front of the net and steps slightly to the side.

"Stand here," Ethan demands, tapping his foot in a spot beside him. I stand where I was told. He steps in front of me and holds out the ball. Unsure of what to do, I slowly take the ball into my hands. Ethan giggles and shakes his head. "You're so awkward."

"Its pronounced amazing." I joke.

He shakes his head. "Oh, my bad."

Ethan grabs my wrists, holding them up. He adjusts them multiple times, standing behind me to see where to aim. Eventually, he takes a small step aside, folding his arms. "Throw it."

"Throw what?" I ask, looking between him and the net.

Ethan laughs. "The ball, you idiot!"

"Oh!" I laugh loudly. "Excuse my stupidity."

Tossing the ball upwards towards the goal, it hit the ring and bounced off. I giggle, turning to Ethan. "I should be LeBron James." I say sarcastically.

"You only need to grow a few more feet." He smirks.

"I'll be the short version."

Ethan shakes his head, a wide grin plastered on his face. Instead of saying anything, he stared at me with amusement. I expected him to say something but he never did. When it start to feel awkward(for me at least), I pointed behind me with my thumb. "I'm gonna go get that ball now."

"Go fetch your ball!" Ethan says as if he's talking to a dog.

I raise my hand up and flip Ethan off from behind me. "Fuck off!"

I apologize for the lack of updates recently! A H I'm doing terrible at this atm and I'm sorryyy!!