The Reaping - Moon

They are all scavengers in this story.

Moon stood next to her mother, wondering what in Pyrrhia was going on. All of the NightWings had been called to a ceremony called The Reaping, but there were no hints about what it was. And, since Moon wore her skyfire, she could not see anyone's minds either.

"And, the name I have in my hand, the one being Reaped, will be...

"Moonwatcher of the NightWings! Moonwatcher, please come up here and stand next to me."

Trembling, Moon walked along the pathway that others had made, clearing out of the way as she walked. She still had no idea what this was about, but it was still worrying. For one thing, Secretkeeper's expression was horrified, terrified, and desperate. For another, Moon's hands had stopped working while she walked somehow, and the skyfire had slipped to the ground. And everyone's thoughts were wondering how bloody her death would be.

As she took the stage next to the RainWing announcer, the announcer said "Are you Moonwatcher?" "Yes." Moon answered nervously. "Moon. I mean, Moonwatcher, but just Moon, really."

"So Moon, I am assuming, since you are a NightWing, you know what the Hunger Games are?" Moon shook her head. "Um. I grew up in the Rainforest." There were grumbles from the other NightWings.

"Oh! You're the dragonet Queen Glory mentioned, who lived in the Rainforest for her entire life. Right?" The announcer smiled. "Well, there's an entire scroll collection about it."

"I like scrolls." Moon said. "But I've never seen anything about Hunger Games." All this talk was making her less nervous, and she might be able to breathe for a few minutes.

"Well, you don't have time to read the scrolls, I'm afraid. But basically, the Hunger Games are a NightWing creation, where each tribe has to send a tribute to an arena, where all the tributes fight to the death." 

Moon froze, terrified. Fight to the death? Her breath sped up, and she struggled not to hyperventilate. I have to survive. But I'm not sure I can kill another dragon.

After a few seconds, she felt an arm lay across her back. She looked up, now crying, to see her mother. 

"Maybe you could win. Take the skyfire as your token, and you can fight." She whispered. Secretkeeper had to be just as scared as Moon was, but she was still being strong.

"I'll miss you, mom." 

"Oh, please, Moon..." But Moon blinked the tears out of her stinging eyes and walked away.