Meeting Competitors

"So, Moon, how about you go to the room connecting all the other tributes' quarters? I've never been there, but maybe some other competitor will come talk to you, and you can find out their strategies." Said Moon's mentor, a RainWing named Carnation. Moon nodded and walked out of her quarters to see Kinkajou and Peril. 

"HI! We called a competitor meeting, to get to know each other! Right, Peril?" Kinkajou poked Peril in the side, and Peril growled at her before continuing. "Actually, that was just you." 

"Way to ruin the fun, Peril. Anyway, I'm Kinkajou! I'm a RainWing, and my biggest advantage is a SECRET, and I don't want to spoil it." Moon was getting a sick feeling in her stomach. She had never been the best at keeping secrets, or lying, but she didn't want the others to know her strategy.

"Ok, I'm Peril. I have a secret power that NONE OF YOU can survive, so good luck trying. Oh, and did I mention I have experience at fighting to the death? I'VE NEVER LOST, AS YOU CAN SEE." 

Kinkajou smiled. "AWESOME! But I bet MY power is better than YOURS. Not trying to be mean, not at all."

"I'm Moon. I didn't even know what the Hunger Games were until a few days ago, when I was Reaped. And, um, I have no powers whatsoever. I'm definitely going to lose." Peril narrowed her eyes at Moon. "Don't LIE, YOU–" "Peril, she can keep her secret if she wants." Kinkajou interrupted. "WE didn't tell HER our secrets." Moon thought that she loved Kinkajou more than any other dragon at that moment. She was so glad that she had been saved from Peril's anger. Because anyone named Peril was probably really dangerous. Which reminded her...

"Why is your name PERIL, anyway?" Asked Moon. Peril shrugged. 

"I'm EXTREMELY dangerous. That's why."

"Oh." Moon had kind of known that already, but she was asking to make sure. "I thought it might be because you were always IN danger." Peril considered this. "I guess that could be it, too. I mean, when I was born, my mother could've killed me, or Queen Scarlet could've flung me off a cliff. Then I lived my life under Queen Scarlet, who made me battle others to the death."

Moon couldn't understand. If Peril was as dangerous as she said, then she wouldn't always be in danger. This evil queen, Queen Scarlet, would be dead. And why would Peril's mother kill her own daughter? Was she worried about Peril hurting her? Was she trying to keep herself alive? Was she just following orders? Did she know Peril was her daughter?

Moon couldn't read Peril's mind for answers. Her mind was protected by a wall of fire, so hot that if Moon even tried to look she was scorched. It was impossible to get past, but a few words slithered out. Kestrel. Moon caught. Betrayal. Win. She decided to concentrate on Kinkajou's thoughts instead. WON'T LET YOU KNOW, MY POWER IS EPIC, I WANNA WIN WIN WIN WIN WINWINWIN!!!!! MOON MIGHT BE A THREAT, I WANNA HAVE HER AS AN ALLY. I WONDER IF SHE LIKES WINTER, I SHIP IT ISHIPITISHIPITISHIPIT! 

Moon jumped. Kinkajou's mind had said something about her and Winter - What was that about? Surely Kinkajou didn't know that she liked him, right?

I SHIIIIP IIIIIT!!!!!!!!! Kinkajou's mind shouted. Meanwhile, Peril's mind whispered Away. Loyal. Love I never had. Love I never deserved.