The Reaping - Peril

"Peril, you understand you have to volunteer. You could win, and bring me jewels for my treasury!" Queen Scarlet smiled evilly at Peril. "How THRILLING would that be!"

"Yes, Your Majesty." Peril replied. "Very thrilling."

"Good!" She yelled, practically in Peril's ear. "So I will Reap someone, and whoever it is, you will volunteer?" 

"Yes, Your Majesty."

"All right, so this year, the dragonet that is going to die a violent, long, painful, BLOODY AND THRILLING death will be Carnelian!"

Peril flung her hand up. "I volunteer as tribute!" She cried, just the way she had practiced. "How thrilling! Our third volunteer! Come on up, Peril!" Peril sprinted up to Queen Scarlet and stood beside her. 

The reason she had volunteered wasn't just because Queen Scarlet told her to, it was because she had wanted to meet Clay, a boy who helped out during the Hunger Games. But she didn't dare say that, because she'd be executed, of course.

"So, Peril, the Hunger Games..." Peril zoned out as Queen Scarlet gave the same speech she had given every year.

Clay was known for his kindness. Peril had loved him since she had first seen him on the Hunger Games. He might eventually like her back, if she won. So Peril would try to win. Easy. 

And then she realized... Clay was known for his kindness. So if she won, he would hate her for killing. He would only love her if she stopped everyone else from killing each other, and that would never happen. She wasn't going because of her skill in making friends.

She was going because she was dangerous.

"Peril, dear? Are you ready for your Hunger Games? Pyrite and I -a SkyWing Peril guessed was Pyrite waved- have been watching the other Reapings. You're against a Prince of the IceWings, and a shy looking NightWing. Those are the only two we've seen, but after our Reaping, we can watch the SeaWing Reaping. And after that is the RainWing Reaping, and then the MudWing Reaping that most dragons don't know about."

Well, at least I'll get to meet Clay before I die.