The Reaping - Winter

Winter knew the reaping for the Hunger Games was today. He would've been excited, but he wasn't. He thought he could probably win, but the Hunger Games were made by NightWings, so he didn't really want to. If he was Reaped, then he would try, but it would be best if he wasn't reaped at all.

And IceWings has a policy: No one volunteers. Because if you got Reaped, you'll either bring the tribe glory, or have a fascinating bloody death. IceWings were strong enough to win. No one takes away their chance of fame.

Winter got to his feet, changed into his clothes, and waited alertly for his mother. He knew she could be just outside the door, and she'd want him to be ready. Sure enough, a knock on the door a second later was his mother's pattern.

"Coming mother." Winter called to the door, walking confidently out of the room. His mother studied him. After a few seconds, she snorted.

"We all know what'll happen to IceWing pride if he's chosen." She muttered.

"Hello! IceWings, we have rules, and you must follow them. If any rule is broken, the one who broke it goes to the fifth circle or lower." That was true. Winter had broken a rule at the previous Reaping, when Hailstorm had been Reaped. He had been sent to the fifth circle, and left to struggle his way back up. The Reaping was very serious.

"So, the lucky name to be chosen will be..." the IceWing announcer unrolled the piece of scroll dramatically. "Winter! Winter, please come stand next to me." Winter walked up, trying to conjure a proud face.

"So Winter, you will be departing tomorrow to the island, called the Capitol, where the arena and the city are."

"Yes."

"And you will have to fight for your tribe's honor, can you promise to do this?"

"I promise."

"Good. And you promise to stop at nothing to gain the prize of winning, yes?"

"Yes."

"Thank you, Prince Winter." And then the crowd applauded Winter. Not like they had applauded Snowfall two years ago, but like they had applauded Hailstorm last year. Like they thought he could win.

Like they thought he was a true IceWing.