《Part 1》Chapter 16-Impedimenta

(Y/n)'s fifth year in Hogwarts seemed to flash by in an instant, probably because she was only in the school for a few months, the rest of the year she was in America because Umbridge kicked her out. Soon her fifth year was over and she returned to America for the summer, she wrote letters to Luna, Ray, Luca, and Draco, but Draco's letters seemed to get shorter, and less frequent as the summer passed. Ray always answered right away, and their letters always seemed to be the longest, even though they still used those bracelets they made every now and then. Luca always had some interesting story to share, his family went on so many adventures over the summer, Luca even convinced them to visit America for a few days so (y/n) got to see him then. Luna's letters were always fun, hearing about whatever the nargles had done or how many rackspurts she had seen in the homeless man's head. Draco's letters though, they seemed so empty and distant, he seemed so anxious and upset, he wasn't himself anymore and (y/n) had no idea what was causing him to act like this. This distance continued into their next year at Hogwarts.

Draco never talked to her, avoided her altogether when he could. He didn't smile at her in the halls anymore, didn't wave at her from across the great hall, didn't say good morning to her in their first class, it was so strange. He completely shut himself out from her, from everyone. He never talked, and he always seemed so... empty, like he was just a shell of the overly cocky, arrogant, and sarcastic person he used to be. It made (y/n) worried, the Draco she knew had seemed to vanish out of thin air, leaving this hollow empty casing in his place. (Y/n) knew that state of emptiness well, and she wanted to help Draco out of it, but he barely let her talk to him, and he was rarely around.

(y/n) attempted to ask Pansy about it, but Pansy never did like (y/n), for multiple reasons, 1: She was Muggle-born, 2: She was a Ravenclaw, 3: She was American, 4: She had Draco, and that was plenty of reasons for Pansy to despise her. She didn't tell (y/n) anything, said if she wanted to know something about Draco to just ask him himself. She was a real bitch about it too, added in some insults about Luca and Ray while she complained about a Mud-blood talking to her about her "puppet" that she had turned Malfoy into. (Y/n) had tried talking directly to Draco so many times it became difficult how many attempts she had actually made, but that didn't exactly get that far either, he barely said anything to her, and he definitely didn't say anything that would have answered any of her questions or eased any of her concerns.

(Y/n) had even asked Newt, Jacob, Tina, and Queenie for their advice on the whole situation, but they weren't much help either. Newt told her that if Draco was too stupid to talk to her then he wasn't worth trying to talk to, a classic big brother/father answer. Thanks, Newt. Jacob told her to be patient, he was probably just upset about something that happened over the summer, and that it would pass, but (Y/n) knew better, this was worse than Draco's normal end of summer depression, this was something much, much worse. Tina told her that boys weren't worth all the struggling and suffering that Draco was putting her through, which was normal for Tina, the family feminazi. Queenie was probably the most helpful out of everyone: She told (y/n) that Draco probably had a lot going on, his family had always been strict, and if (Y/n) gave him a little space, but made sure she was still there for him, it would eventually work out. So that's what (y/n) decided to do.

*************************************************************************************

(Y/n) decided it would be a good idea to ask Dumbledore about what he believed was going on with Draco as well, so one day after dinner she slipped away from the rest of her dorm and made her way up to his office.

(Y/n) made her way up to Dumbledore's office through the griffin passageway, "Excuse me, Professor Dumbledore?" (y/n) called out as she slowly walked into his office, she looked around the cluttered office in search of the headmaster.

Dumbledore emerged from the top level of his office, beginning to walk down the stairs, "Oh, hello Miss. (y/n)," Dumbledore greeted, "is something wrong? you seem a bit out of sorts," he asked, more curious than concerned.

"uh..." (y/n) cleared her throat uncomfortably, "I was wondering if you knew if anything was going on with Draco, he's been a little off lately," she wondered, scratching the back of her neck awkwardly.

Dumbledore chuckled, "oh... there's no need to worry about him right now (y/n)," he promised, "you'll get your Draco back soon," his voice was calm and comforting, but it was still promising like he actually fully meant what he was saying.

(y/n) nodded, "yeah.. you're probably right, sorry to bother you, professor," she mumbled quietly. She was always a socially awkward kid, never really like going out of her way to talk to people like this, and she always felt bad whenever she feels like going to talk to them was a waste of their time.

Dumbledore smiled at her, "oh, that's quite alright (y/n)," he reassured her, "it's good that you're concerned for him, he needs someone like you to look after him when you can," he stated warmly.

(y/n) couldn't help but smile to herself, "thanks professor," she mumbled, "I should probably get back to my dorm before curfew," she sighed.

Dumbledore nodded, "alright, Miss. (y/n)," he smiled, "good night," he waved to her for her to leave his office.

(y/n) waved back, "good night professor Dumbledore," she smiled before she began to leave his office.

"Oh, (y/n), do take care of yourself this year," Dumbledore called out as she turned around to leave, "keep an eye out for Luca as well for me," he ordered calmly before she left.

(y/n) turned back to face him once again, "uh... yeah... I will professor," she promised, "goodnight," she waved once more before actually leaving his office.

After she walked out Dumbledore sighed to himself, he hoped that once he was gone whoever became headmaster would allow her to remain in the school, and he hoped that after this year was over she would still be there for Draco. Dumbledore knew that Draco would need her with him more than ever before the year was over, and he hoped (y/n) wouldn't be too upset with what Draco had planned to do.