What an Announcement

I bound out of the Armory after Karly's goodbye. There's already maybe half the Gladiators surrounding a few guards. Tremor pads out of the Chambers and sidles up to me. I shoot him an icy glare which he returns with a curl of his lip. "ATTENTION! Us at the Wasteland have decided to modify the rules to the Wasteland battles. It's come to our attention that Arrow is getting almost four times the points than all of you combined. Now, Arrow will get a fixed amount of points regardless of his kills and leaderboard status. If one of you Gladiators kills Arrow, you will get a point bonus. Every time that Arrow comes in first, the bonus will increase until he is killed. After that, the point bonus will reset to zero and grow from there." It's a little weird that they are discussing someone killing me with me sitting before them. As they go over a few new rules, I realise something; all they want is a show. People outside the Wasteland watch us and bet on who will come after me as according to Hawk, people are no longer allowed to bet on me.

"Excuse me?" Rhys says politely, a sparkle in her purple eyes and a sugary smile on her face.

"Yes, Gladiator?" Eesh, that's a bit offensive. We're all Gladiators to them, nothing more.

"How many points would I get if I killed Arrow during the next Wasteland battle?" Everyone sits a little higher.

"Approximately 14,000."

"Oh, yeah! You hear that, Arrow? I'm coming for you!" Bear stands up and turns to me, a wild grin on his face and his teeth bared.

"I figured, Bear." I say flatly. Wow, could they have put a bigger target on my back? Perhaps they're trying to isolate me for a better show. Many other Gladiators turn towards me with murder in their eyes.

I smile briefly and look at the guards. "That is all, you are dismissed. For those of you who would like to train, Clicks will be out shortly." The head guard waves his hand and we scatter. A green dragon walks up to me. I raise my head and look at them. "Congrats." They say with no emotion in their voice.

"Uh, thanks?"

"Do you realise the target on your back, Arrow?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking about it. I don't believe I've met you before. What's your name?"

"I'm Sage. I'm surprised you didn't recognise me." Sage stretches her short wings which have three fingers at the wrist. She sits down and wraps her tail around her taloned feet. Her tail ends in a white, furred paddle with nine spikes on either side. Vines hang from her thin, three pronged horns. "So, Sage. Did you come to me to let me know of the 14,000 bonus point target on my back or is there something else? If not, I think I'm going to train with a Click."

"Other Gladiators are going to be watching you like a hawk now. They'll watch your every move, trying to find a weakness."

"May I ask your point?"

"I'm simply stating the truth. Look around, Arrow. Nothing is as it seems."

"Why are you telling me this?"

"I'm working with what I know."

"What is that?"

"I cannot tell you here."

"Why should I believe anything you say?"

"Why do you trust what AlexRaye Johnson says?" Sage returns my question with another one. How frustrating.

"He's my friend."

"Is he?"

"Yeah, he is. I think I'll be going."