You Are Coming With Us

My teeth wrap around the shaggy dog's neck but Hawk doesn't react. When his skin begins to give against the points of my fangs, he still doesn't react. When the first taste of rust fills my mouth, I freeze. Hawk hasn't moved the slightest bit, he's still limp beneath my grip and doing absolutely nothing to prevent me from killing him. It's as if a filter lifts from my eyes. I step back from where Hawk lays on the ground, my eyes wide. "I-I..."

"Arrow, are you feeling better?" Hawk asks, interrupting me. I don't reply for a few long moments.

"I-I'm sorry. I don't know... I don't know what happened. I just. Something just snapped in me."

"You're stressed. It wasn't you. Don't worry about it. I knew you were not going to hurt me so don't feel bad or anything. Let's get some food and forget about the Wasteland battle for a bit. Jay's probably wondering where we are." I nod and follow Hawk out of cave 14. How on earth am I supposed to just forget about this huge battle where I kill other's for absolutely no reason? I think as I walk through the corridors of the Chambers. My body shakes as I hold onto the strings tying myself together.

A guard walks up to us. "Get in line." He says coldly and points to the growing line.

"Please don't tell me what to do." I whisper, looking at the ground.

"He's having a bit of a rough day. We'll be going now. Thank you and have a nice day, Mr. Wasteland Guard." Hawk smiles cheerfully at the Wasteland guard and digs his shoulder into my forearm, trying to get me to move.

"Wait," the Wasteland guard says as I slowly lift a forepaw, "I really don't appreciate you talking back to me, Gladiator. Try responding again."

"Make me. You wouldn't dare hurt me, would you? I'm Arrow, the best Gladiator. If all you want is a show, you wouldn't hurt someone who can give you that, would you? But go ahead, try. Try to hurt me. I dare you to do so." I lower my head and look the Wasteland guard right in the eye. I'm really getting tired of all of this.

"You're right, I wouldn't dare hurt the best Gladiator. I'm not going to. You're not the best. The Silver Shock, Tremor is. He doesn't take first place every time. He works for the points he earns. He lets others get better places than he does. He actually fights. He trains endlessly, honing his abilities. Coming in first every time doesn't mean that you are the best. There are other measures of success. You aren't even half the Gladiator Tremor is, Arrow. I feel no shame attacking such a lowlife." The Wasteland guard spits out the words and draws his sword.

"If he actually fights, how do I always beat him? He keeps saying next time yet sometimes he's killed within the first few minutes and he's yet to kill me. Please, enlighten me."

"He lets you." The Wasteland guard whispers.

"Ha, I don't think so. Now, if you please, let me through. I'm getting rather hungry."

"I think not. Why don't you just stay right here and eat the leftovers. What everyone else doesn't want."

"I'm hungry and I have places to be. It's been a very long night. Please don't push anything." I bunch my muscles and leap over the guard. He lets his sword cut a wound on my ankle. When I land, I whirl around with my teeth bared in a snarl, my claws sliding across the stone as I come to a stop. I stalk forward, the world red with fury. A low growl rumbles in my throat and chest as my body trembles with bubbling anger. "I thought I told you not to push anything. I warned you." I murmur as I lunge and sink my teeth into the skin connecting the Wasteland guard's neck to his shoulders. Blood sprays on my face and across the stone ground of the Pit. The Wasteland guard goes limp in my grip as his life drips to the ground in a pool of red. My jaws open and the body of the guard falls to the ground with a thud. I take long, deep breaths and let my head hang. Beads of blood drip from my stained, red muzzle. What have I done?