p r o l o g u e

Peter's POV

Y/n y/l/n and I have always been best friends.

We were born two weeks apart, her being two weeks older, and her mother was close with my mother.
We grew up together, our parents were always hanging out, so there we were. From walking to school to playing in the park, we did everything together.

When my parents died, she was there for me. I was young, but it felt good to have a friend by my side when I needed it most. She comforted me and visited me when I moved in with my Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Moving in with my aunt and uncle did not change a thing in our friendship. We were still inseparable.

I was teased in school for being smart and I was constantly called a nerd. Y/n always stood up for me if I couldn't. Everyone knew not to mess with me because I had y/n.

The first time she stood up for me was a moment to remember. In 4th grade, some boy called me a nerd for handing in my homework early. Y/n called him names and told him not to make fun of me again. It was in that moment that I realized I liked her. Yeah, we were young and it wasn't that heroic, but at the time, I thought she was the bravest person ever. Not to mention how pretty she was and still is.

When we got to middle school, things started to change. More people were around to tease me, and in a bigger school, y/n wasn't always around to stand up for me. I tried to ignore people. Eventually, my Uncle Ben passed away, leaving my aunt and I heartbroken. Again, y/n was there for me, as well as Aunt May, comforting us and doing anything to help.

Y/n always did that. She always wanted to help people. Her heart was so kind, which made me like her even more. I kept these feelings to myself though, I didn't want to mess up our friendship. I cared about her so much.

We had a special spot on the fire escape outside her apartment where we would just sit and talk. It was peaceful and I loved being up there with her.

These feelings were especially hard to keep back in the eighth grade. Y/n was invited to one of her friend's birthday parties, of course we had different friends besides each other, and she brought me. She said she could bring anyone to the party, and she thought of me. Y/n's friend also allowed my newer friend Ned to tag along too.

Anyways, the group of kids at the party were sitting on the floor in a circle when one of them suggested we play a game. Spin the bottle. A classic eighth grade party game, right? I tried to escape from the circle, dreading the game. Y/n pulled me back and said it would be fun. Everyone urged me to spin the bottle first, it took some convincing, but I just spun it.

It slowly came to a stop and landed on y/n. She didn't know that I had a crush on her, no one did, but I immediately felt my cheeks get hot when she looked at the bottle pointing at her. The group of kids 'oo-ed and aw-ed' because they knew how long we have been friends.

One of them said, "Ooo, the nerd is going to get what he wants!"

I was so embarrassed. I ran out of that house all the way home and flopped on my bed. An hour later I decided to walk to y/n's apartment, I needed to talk to her. Luckily, she was sitting at our spot on the fire escape.

I climbed up and sat down next to her. Suddenly, I felt nervous around her from that point on. I still remember our conversation from that very day.

"I- I'm sorry I stormed out of the party like that, you know I was uh just embarrassed," I told her.

"It's fine, Peter. It's just some stupid game, right?" she replied.

"Yeah, I uh, I guess so."

We turned and looked at each other. She leaned over and pecked my lips quickly.

"Sorry, you seemed like you still wanted a kiss" she said.

"Oh it-its fine, I mean- never mind," I replied stupidly.

"Let's not mention this, okay?" she explained while holding out her pinky to promise with me.

I held my pinky to hers and we never mentioned it. That is until I called Ned later that night and told him. It was my first kiss I had to tell someone. Well, at least she never mentioned it, I hope.

I didn't think the kiss meant anything to her, but it did to me. Even though it was quick, I was happy to know my first kiss was with y/n.

After that we drifted apart. I was kind of disappointed, but I knew we were getting older and figuring things out. She had more friends than I did and was with them a lot. But I knew for sure I still liked y/n.

We reached high school, both of us went to Midtown Tech, we were always smart. Midtown was even bigger than our middle school, causing us to drift apart even more. We went from hanging out everyday after school, to just seeing each other at lunch or just a wave in the hallway.

We were so busy with homework now, she had her group of new friends and I had Ned, who became my best friend.

After freshman year, things really changed. I was bitten by a radioactive spider and turned into a hero in Queens, New York. I gained many new abilities and a lot of strength. I helped people, because it was the right thing to do. Eventually Tony Stark found me and made me a really awesome suit and I am basically an Avenger. I'm getting off topic now, but I dedicated my life to helping people as said before. I used my powers to do so.

This distanced y/n and I more. Ned was really the only close friend I now had. I spent so much time saving others, that I had no time to figure out how to save our friendship.

Not to mention, y/n got a boyfriend the end of freshman year. Dylan Blake, who was known for his good looks and terrible sense of humor. He was very smart though. They spent all summer together. I have to admit, I was jealous, but there was nothing I could do.

I thought maybe telling her I was spider-man would impress her, but I couldn't. Ned found out one day in the middle of summer. He was waiting for me to get home in my room when I climbed through the window, fully suited, and exposing my identity.

Luckily, he promised to not tell anybody.  Mr. Stark would not be happy if he found out Ned knew. Let alone y/n knowing as well. I decided not to tell her that summer.

And that leads us to now. Sophomore year starts tomorrow, and I plan to become closer with y/n again. I will just have to figure out how. Maybe I will get lucky.

A/N: Here we go! A new story! I hope you enjoy it! For this prologue, just imagine Peter telling the story about you and him to someone else or him just recording a video to let everything out. I hope this isn't lame lol.