t w e n t y s e v e n

warnings: angst, some fluff if u squint, endgame SPOILERS!!
there's some skipping around scenes just because we don't need a full replay of endgame.
btw i'm a sad nat stan

"You guys ready?"

The Avengers all looked at each other and nodded while standing on the platform in their matching uniforms.

"One last time, we get the stones and we all come back. We do that, we get the ones we lost back again," Steve said.

"Alright, here we go, now or never," Tony smirked.

Natasha nodded towards him and Steve and smiled saying, "See you in a minute." (MY BABY)

The contraption the Avengers spent their minds working on whirled up and shocked them all to the past. Thor and Rocket to Asgard; Steve, Tony, Bruce and Scott to New York City/New Jersey; Nebula and Rhodey to Morag, and Clint and Natasha to Vormir. All not ready for the events which were to come ahead.

They got all the stones.

After a quick-long minute, almost all the Avengers returned to the platform with all six Infinity Stones. Almost all.

"Where's Nat?"

Clint looked to his hands revealing the soul stone. Dripping water from the pond at Vormir, from where he returned but left Nat behind. He didn't have to say anything for the others to understand.

Clint and Nat went back for the soul stone. Clint returned with the stone, but not with Nat.

——————

"Let's do it," Bruce officiated, preparing to snap his fingers as Thanos once did.

"Remember everyone Thanos snapped away five years ago we're just bringing them back. Don't change anything else.

"Got it."

Bruce, the Hulk, let Tony's gauntlet containing the infinity stones to connect with his arm. It shocked him with intense pain, pulsing through his arm and body, but he was okay. And just like that,

he snapped his fingers.

The sun shone again, birds chirped and living beings, people they lost, were starting to reappear. Unbeknownst to the Avengers though.

Bruce opened his eyes after falling to the ground prior to extreme forces he went through. And as his eyes were fully opened he saw a ship above the compound windows, not shooting only one blast but several. The first one came in contact with a window directly at Scott, being knocked backwards. Then came the rest, wreaking havoc on the Avengers Upstate-New York Compound.

"On your left," Steve heard Sam say. A voice he hasn't heard in over five years. He turned to his left, seeing a portal opening up, revealing T'Challa and Shuri and Okoye. Steve let out a sigh of relief. More and more portals started to open up all around the destruction, with people emerging. Heroes emerging.

They were back again.

Sam, Bucky, Wanda, Hope, Dr. Strange, the Wakandans, the Guardians...everyone came to fight together. To win.

And there he was. Swinging as smooth as usually right out of a portal was Spider-man, was Peter Parker.

Although it was an extremely touching moment seeing everyone return, there was a fight which needed to be fought. And so they did.

Tony was surrounded alone by some of the Black Order, blasting them off his back before they got to him. But there were too many of them and he got knocked back. Feeling breathless with the enemy charging in on him, he lied back ready for the impact until the opponent was pulled back by a web. And then stepped on by giant Scott.

Peter saw Tony on the ground and jumped to him, immediately pulling him up.

"Woah, holy cow, you will not be able to believe what's been going on. Do you remember when we were in space, and I got all dusty? And I must've passed out because I woke up and you were gone, but Dr. Strange was there and he was like 'it's been five years come on they need us' and then he started doing the yellow sparkly thing that he does all the time," Peter rambled while Tony watched in awe.

Tears fell from his eyes. It's been five years since he saw him. Five. Peter was everything to him, a son to him. The whole reason Tony did all of this was for Peter. Of course for the others, but when it came to Peter, that was the turning point. He had to get him back. And he did. Tony cut off Peter's rambling with a tight hug. He almost couldn't believe he was seeing Peter and holding the kid again.

"Wait what are you doing?"

But Peter fell into the hug, "This is nice."

And they went into battle together, unknowing it would be their last together.

——————

"I...am inevitable," Thanos groaned, ready to snap his fingers for a second time and hurt everyone again.

But there was one, only one way this wouldn't happen. And Tony knew. Strange knew. It was the only way. They were in the endgame now.

And with a few tricks, the stones ended up in Tony's gauntlet. He knew all too well what he was doing by snapping his fingers. It would take yet another sacrifice on the avengers part, but it meant saving the entire universe. It was time.

Thanos snapped. Nothing happened and everyone realised the stones were gone. Tony knew exactly were they were: in his possession.

"And I...am Iron Man."

And Tony snapped his fingers in a blast.

Taking out the biggest enemy. Taking out Thanos. He knew what it would cost, and he put others first before himself. As did Natasha. The scenario Tony executed never would have happened if it wasn't for Nat. She sacrificed herself for the soul stone. If she didn't, no one would be here right now. These two heroic, brave, powerful people put everyone else in the entire universe before themselves. They saved everyone.

And he fell.

It was too powerful for Tony to take. But he knew that. And the other ran to his side, Pepper, Rhodey, and Peter.

Peter was distraught more than ever. There is not a word to describe what was going on in the boy's mind and heart. He couldn't lose Tony too.

"Mr Stark? Hey can you hear me? Mr. Stark we won. We won Tony! Please," he cried out loud enough for everyone to hear.

"It's okay kid come on," Pepper pulled him back into her embrace, knowing the hurt that he was feeling.

Rhodey held Peter back while Pepper said her good bye. She knew it was time.

"It's okay Tony. You can rest now."

He didn't say anything back. His last words were the ones he uttered all those 15 some years ago. I am Iron Man.

And he lived by those words. All his life.

chapter twenty-eight will be up on june 25th 2019

i miss tony so much i'm fk crying. and nat as well my poor baby. russos treated her like shit so i had to give her justice