t h i r t y o n e

warnings: angst, mentions of deaths, grief, plot twist kinda.

ps: this chapter contains touchy material concerning death of a loved one and grief. if you ever need someone to talk to, i am here for you, always.

"yes hi y/n. so your dad."

"what about him?"

"he worked with a man named quentin beck. a bad man. i can't say what your father is doing now, i can't get in contact with him to make sure he is a safe, i'm sorry."

"oh," was all you could say.

"i think you should come outside for this next part. i'm in the car."

you raised your eyebrows, confused and walked over to the window and saw a black car with tinted windows—pepper.

you grabbed some things and went down to the car. the back door opened for you, by pepper and you climbed in. she was sitting alone in the back and a grumpy looking man was up front driving.

"y/n, come here," pepper whispered as she reached out for you and enclosed her arms around you.

you had only met pepper once, so it was safe to say this was not the most comfortable situation. and most of all, you were confused. where were your parents? and why were you sitting in a car with the pepper potts-stark? nevertheless, you hugged back because you loved hugs.

you slowly pulled away and popped the question, "so what's going on? where's my mom?"

pepper's eyes were glossy as she talked to you, "well, as you know your dad is missing, probably with mr. beck. and your mom...she's, well she was a friend of i, we grew up together. we are, well were best friends. and when i started working for tony, we did our best to separate our work lives from our friendship. anyone with connections to tony is somehow in danger. it's a screwed up world, love."

"what are you saying?"

"obviously we did our best to keep that separation, but my best was not enough," pepper sniffled.

my eyes turned teary, immediately realising where she was going with this.

"your mom came to my office to see me, i couldn't stop her. we talked for awhile, about you, and how mush you meant to her. she knew about the ties with your father, and she knew you would be connected to this too. she just wanted to make sure you were safe. and after all, i am your godmother."

"no, no. she's fine right? tell me she's fine," you cried.

pepper shook her head and pushed her perfect strawberry-copper coloured hair behind her ears.

"there were men outside. beck's men, supposedly. she left the office building peacefully and..." she closed her eyes and sniffled, "...and was struck, by a knife in the abdomen. it was quick and quiet. but the terror i felt watching the footage from our guard's cameras was so so painful. we tried to save her but she lost too much blood on the sidewalk, i just, i didn't know what to do, i lost my best friend seconds after talking to her."

tears glided down your cheeks yet you had an emotionless face, "so she's gone. it's just me."

"yes, i'm so, so sorry."

you leaned in to hug pepper once again, knowing she was hurting as much as you. especially because she also lost her husband. and then you both let it all out at once, bawling in your godmother's arms.

grief was something that took time to overcome. and you would cry for however long you needed to, and take a break from life for however long you needed to.

"but wait, i have a question."

"anything sweetie," pepper whispered.

"at the funeral, i met you, and you acted like you didn't know me? but you're my godmother?"

pepper's lips upturned ever so slightly, "well i tried to hide my smirk as best i could. but i knew you well. i was there when you were born. but i wanted to keep my work out of your family. but trust me, i've heard plenty about you from your mom constantly, and peter too."

you looked down. you felt so lost and confused. one parent missing one parent deceased and fighting with your boyfriend.

pepper put her hand on your shoulder, " i know it doesn't seem like it now, y/n, but in time things will get better. you have people like me who love you and will be there for your support through any and every thing. i am going to try my best to get you through this. whatever it takes."

"thank you pepper," who slightly smiled, still crying, "but what now?"

"well your mom wanted me to do anything i could to protect you and that's what i'm gonna do. you'll come live with morgan and i at our penthouse here in Queens, so you can go back to school if you want to. and we can go upstate to our cabin, which you've seen before. i just want you to be okay."

"okay," you nodded.

———————

the car you were in hadn't moved, you were still outside your apartment building. pepper suggested she go up with you to grab some clothes and anything else you needed to move in the the penthouse. pepper was now your legal guardian, had it not been for your father's disappearance.

you quickly got a bag together of clothes and books and school things to bring over. she said you could always come back to grab more another time. and that you didn't have to go through your mother's things now, but that it would be a good idea in the future.

while you packed, your eyes hung low and you moved slow. you could hardly process the idea that your mother is gone, but it stuck in your brain still. you weren't quite sure what was going on with your body. you just wanted to get some things and go to pepper's place and take a nap. maybe have some hot cocoa and watch tv as a family to feel calm and relaxed. to take your kind of today's events.

after packing, you and pepper headed back to the lovely car and the driver, happy, you learned his name, headed to the Queens penthouse. it was not too long of a drive yet the whole time you just stared out the window, rarely blinking, in shock and confusion. here you were, going to live with pepper and morgan potts-stark. your new family.

your life had totally been flipped upside down.

i love you all, sorry for this. sorry for no peter in this chapter. new chapter tomorrow