Chapter 49

Later that night Callie was in her room working on her homework when she got a call from Jughead.

" Nothing new on the Lodges," Callie said as she answered the phone.

" Someone else does," Jughead. " Come outside, we are going to Riverdale's bus terminal and meeting someone there."

" I'm coming," Callie said as she got up. She then quietly left the house as quick as she could.

" Callie," her dad said as she opened the door.

" Hey dad," Callie greeted.

" You are looking at the candidate for the Mayor of Riverdale," her dad announced.  

" If it is something you want, then I will support you," Callie smiled.

" Thanks, Sweetheart," her dad smiled. " Have you seen Archie?"

" Probably working out," Callie answered.

" Don't stay out too late," her dad advised. " I know you are about to go out."

" I won't, " Callie said, she kissed his cheek before leaving the house where Jughead waited for her.

" Have you ever used rode a motorcycle?" Jughead asked.

" Yeah," Callie answered. " Do you think me and Sweet Pea walk everywhere?" she then got on the bike. Jughead then drove them to the bus station. 

"Ready?" Jughead asked as they walked into the building.

" Low profile," Callie advised. They walked around, people got up from the bench and they two immediately sat down.

" I haven't much time," the man said from the other side of the bench.

" Are you calling me deep throat?" Jughead asked.

" You've been calling everyone in town for information about Hiram Lodge but not me," the man stated. " That's why I called you, good thing you brought your friend too."

" No offense, but how does a bus driver have insider information on Hiram Lodge?" Jughead asked.

" I used to be someone else," the man answered. They all turned to look at each other, Callie recognized the man. " Someone who was privy to Hiram Lodge's personal affairs. Someone who suffered at his whims."

"What kind of personal affairs?" Callie asked.

" I coordinated transportation for Mr. Lodge, sometimes out to Shankshaw Prison," the man answered. " He also received mail from the warden there."

" Shanksaw?" Callie questioned.

"That's not where Hiram Lodge served time," Jughead mentioned.

" I'm afraid that's all I have for you," the man apologized.

" That's it?" Jughead asked.

" And one more thing. A question," the man started. " Miss Veronica, how's she faring through all this?"

" She's faring through it pretty well," Jughead answered.

" Thank you, Smithers," Callie said as they got up and left. Jughead took them to the diner where they talked about it with FP.

"So, Hiram Lodge's master plan has something to do with your old stomping grounds, Shankshaw," Jughead informed.

" We tried calling the warden a dozen times but he hasn't called us back," Callie added.

" That corrupt son of a bitch," FP commented.

" Do you have any contacts on the inside that might know something?" Callie asked.