Chapter 74

Callie managed to wipe away her tears, she had no time to cry. She had to help rescue Archie. She now sat in the speakeasy around the table with the rescue team. 

" Thank you all for coming," Callie thanked them. She had a lot of say in the plan, it was her brother they were rescuing. " As you all know, Archie's stuck behind bars."

" His life is in danger," Veronica added. " Before we get started, I want to acknowledge that, yes, we are flying by the seat of our pants here, but as much as possible, we must follow the plan."

" The slightest deviation and Archie could wind up dead," Callie spoke. " We'll need a distraction to disorient the guards and hide Archie's play for the grate, something we can sneak into the location easily, that won't arouse suspicion, something we make ourselves."

" As for the getaway route," Veronica spoke. " I want you positioned for the pickup here, Bee and Cal." She pointed at a spot on the map. " If you stick to the woods, their cars shouldn't be able to follow you." "

Just in case, might I suggest we put another precaution in place," Betty proposed.

****
The mission began as the others were inside getting ready to cause a distraction. Betty and Callie snuck around outside, they found the wardens car. Callie lifted the hood and Betty ripped out the wire. Callie out the hood back down and they snuck back to their positions. They got to where Kevin was waiting for them. He was at the exit, the grate was still closed.

" Betty, thank God," Kevin thanked.

" Kev, why isn't the grate opened?" Callie asked.

" There's a lock we didn't know about," Kevin informed, he let out a sigh. " But look, Joaquin was just here, and I have to go after him."

" Well, I got this," Betty confirmed as she took out a bobby pin. " But you can't go after Joaquin. What about Archie?"

" I'll be back. I promise," Kevin promised. He then got up and left. The lock was a bit hard to open, they started to grunting through the hole. Soon a  bloody and dirty hand grabbed the grate.

" Archie," Callie breathed happily as Betty finally managed to get the grate open, Callie swung it fully open as Betty helped out of the sewer. Once he was on the ground, both girls got his side, Betty grabbed his face.

" Callie, Betty," Archie breathed when he saw them.

" Hi," Betty greeted, happy tears filled both girl's eyes.

" What took you so long?" Archie asked Betty.

" I could ask you the same thing," Betty laughed.

" Are these clothes for me?" Archie asked.

" Oh, my God," Callie gasped as she saw her brother holding a spot, he was bleeding, badly. " You're bleeding." He was groaning a lot. " Here, put pressure on it. Here, come here." They managed to get the serpent jacket around Archie. They managed to split up, Kevin came back and took off with Betty. As Callie helped Archie through the woods, managing not to get caught. " You're going to be okay."

" Callie," Archie groaned. 

" I'm right here," Callie assured him. Soon they caught up with Veronica, they then managed to get him to Reggie's car, but they had to duck as cops zoomed passed them. Reggie then helped Archie in the car, they put in the back, Callie got in and knelt beside him. Everyone else got in the car. They drove away as quickly as possible. 

"Now that Archie is rescued, why did you look so sad earlier Strawberry?" Reggie asked.

" Me and Pea are no longer a thing," Callie answered.