Chapter 13

I head up the stairs and go to the bathroom. I enter and strip out of my clothes. I turn on the shower head and step in. My muscles instantly relax under the warm water.

I grab my rag and lather soap on it to wash my body. I scrub my skin till it feels raw and red. I can still feel that guy's grimy hand on my skin. I shiver in disgust. No matter how much I scrub, I still feel dirty.

I silently start crying again. What have I done to deserve this? I look down at myself and still see the giants scars from my brother. I slowly run my hand over the giant healing scar and shiver at the thought of that day. I look at my other scars and I remember the first time I cut. You never forget the first time you cut.

'It's all your fault she is dead!'

'You're a murderer!'

'You killed her!'

'It's your fault!'

It is my fault she is dead. It was my idea to leave early, my idea to go to the stupid party. My mother left, no one is here for me. My father and brother are hitting me more often and their words really hurt me.

They are supposed to be the ones protecting me, not hurting me. What did it do?

I go to my father's office and grab what I'm looking for. It will help, right? Only once and I'll feel better. Only one time and that is it. No more after this. I go to the bathroom and look at the razor shine from the bathroom light. This is the only light for me in the darkness of my mind.

I'm startled out of my thoughts when I hear a knock on the door.

"Hey Emilia? Are you alright?" Xander asks from the other side of the door.

"Y-Yeah, I'm fine, almost done," I say trying to sound like I haven't been crying.

"O-Okay, just making sure, I'll be downstairs." He says. I listen for his retreating footsteps, once I hear he is gone. I turn off the water and grab my towel, wrapping it around me. I open the door and look out before heading to my room.

I dry myself off and put on my undergarments. I pick out a brown sweater and blue jeans. I grab my converse putting them on. I brush my hair and put it in a messy bun before heading down the stairs. I get to the bottom of the stairs and see Xander on his phone. He hasn't seen me yet.

Does he actually care? Does he actually like me? Do I like him? I mean he is attractive and he hasn't shown me any reason to not trust him. But isn't that what they all do? They care and soon leave?

I pull out of my thought when he looks me up and down. I blush and shuffle my feet slightly.

"O-Oh hey, s-sorry, ready to leave?" He says to me getting up from the chair.

"Y-Yeah let's go," I say and follow him out the door to his car. We get in and he starts the car driving back to his house.

"S-So, w-who is this neighbor I'm g-gonna meet?" I ask nervously.

"Oh, right. Her name is Mrs. Harrison. She is a super nice, kind, and caring lady. She is like a grandmother to me. I have known her ever since I was little. She is a really good cook also. There's nothing to worry about she will like you." He says a smile forming on his face.

"Okay," I say and look out the window. I'm still nervous, I always get nervous meeting new people or even just talking to people. I look back out the window and watch as houses and trees fly by.

I feel the car stop and notice we are in front of his house.

"We don't have to go over yet, because we are going over a little later, so we can just hang out," He says as he exits the car. I get out and follow him to the door. He opens the door and we enters. I hear little footsteps echo through the house and then see Izzy appear in the doorway.