Chapter 40

1 year later

"Emilia! You have a few letters in the mail!" My mom yells from downstairs. I drop my pen and head down the stairs. I rush into the living room with excitement seeing my mother looking at the other mail. I grab my letters from the table. Noticing, that they are my college letter.

"Oh my gosh! There letters from college!" I squeal, gripping them tighter in my hand, except the last has scribbled handwriting that resembles...

Dred washes over me instantly as I glance at the letter.

"I'm gonna open these upstairs," I say, trying to hide the fear and distress lacing my voice.

"Okay honey, let me know what they say," She says looking at me with an excited smile then she looks back at the TV.

"I will," I say as I rush up the stairs. I quickly, but quietly, shut my door and sit at my desk. I place the letter down, staring at it. I reluctantly grab it, tearing it open and looking at the letter. 

Did you really think you wouldn't see us again? I notice you are living with your whore of a mother again and have been with that boy I see? Well that just can't do know, can it? Meet us at this address tonight at 8:00 or you won't see you precious boyfriend again. Accidents do happen you know?  -Greg

I feel tears prick my eyes as I scan the letter, again and again, wishing it was real. The tears stream down my face as I viciously slap the paper down on the desk and groan in irritation. Why couldn't they just leave me alone once I'm finally happy!

I push up from my desk and pace around my room, trying to come up with anything to get around that, but come up with none from the overwhelming feeling flooding through me.

I have to go, I don't want others to be hurting because of me.

I grab my phone stuffing it in my pocket. I step out of my room telling my mother I'm going to Xander's house. I feel quilt wash over me as I blatantly lie to her face. I shake it off and hop into my car my dad bought me and start to put the address in my phone. I start heading that way, following the directions that are spoken through my phone and feel fear wash over me.

No one should be hurt because of me.

----

--Xander's P.O.V.--

I pull up to Emilia's driveway and turn off my engine with a sigh. I get out of my car and head up the steps to the front door. I knock three times and patiently wait for the door to open.

Moments later it opens and I'm greeted with Emilia's mother.

"Hey, Lillian, is Emilia home?" She looks shocked before shaking her head.

"She said she was with you?" She says with a worried expression. Fear flushes through me. I step into her house as she steps out of the way, allowing me in.

"Do you know where she could have gone?" She asks me and I shake my head.

"I have no idea. Did anything happen that could have caused her to be upset?" I ask. I know sometimes she just likes to be alone after something upsetting happens. Sometimes she just goes to the park or the usual diner where we had our first date. She looks taken aback then thinks over it before her eyes widen.

"She got her college letters today. Maybe she didn't get in?" She questions herself. She starts taking fast steps upstairs and I follow close behind her.

She goes through her door and rushes to her desk looking at it in confusion.

"She hasn't opened her college letters yet but wait..." She picks up a letter skimming through it and her eyes widen as tears form in her eyes.