Chapter 24

"Alright students. It's time to present your projects," Mrs. Garrison says. Everyone groans in protest.

"Hey, you guys knew about it, It's not my fault if you do not prepare. Let's start with Alexander's and Emilia's," Mrs. Garrison says.

I slowly stand up with Xander and treck to the front of the class. She pulls up our powerpoint and we start our presentation. I look up at everyone's eyes on me, making me shuffle on my feet slightly, anxiety building up in me.

I start reading off the presentation. A few people snicker when I stutter and stumble reading over the words. I try to ignore them but it just gets worse, making me mess up more. I feel my face get hot and my hands feel sticky and clamy.

"Hey, knock it off," Mrs. Garrison says sending a glare to the laughing students.

"Continue," She says, giving me a small smile. I continue trying to read but it becomes difficult from my overactive mind. I take a deep breath and open my mouth but Xander starts reading for me. I look over at him and see the corner of his lips pull into a small smile.

He's going to read it for me? That makes me internal sigh and feel greatful but feel guilty at the same time. He finished the project by himself and now he is presenting it by himself. I keep my eyes glued to the board too nervous to look at everyone's judgemental gaze.

We...or I should say he finally finish reading the powerpoint and we go back to our seats with small claps from around the class.

I look over and Xander and give him a half-smile but he shakes his head and gives me a thumbs up trying to reassure me. I nod my head slowly and turn back to the front listening to the rest of the presentations.

----

It's the end of the day now and I head out the school doors going to Xanders car.

"Hey Emilia," he says. I nod my head with a silent hey getting into the car. He looks over at me with slight confusion but doesn't say anything. I turn my head out the window. I hear him sigh and start the car pulling out of the school. We sit in an awkward silence as I stay glued to my spot, looking out the window.

"Are you okay?" He asks me breaking the deafening silence.

"I'm fine," I say shruggin my shoulders trying to conceal my uneasiness. My brother is coming back. They will come for me. I can never escape.

I feel tears form in my eyes but don't let them fall. I can't cry, not now. I  would probably look like an attention whore. I wipe my eyes with my sleeve trying to hide the forming tears.

He doesn't say anything else the rest of the way to the house.

We pull into the driveway and I quickly exit the car and speed walk to the door.

"Emil-" I hear before I quickly shut the door heading to my room ignoring his call. I go to my room and drop my books, taking my shoes off and flopping on to the bed. I bury my head in the pillow as a cry squeezing it tightly for comfort. I curl up into a ball to feel protected.

Crying about my messed up family and my life. I cause problems around me. I'm just a mistake in this world...

--Xander's P.O.V.--

"Emilia," I call to her. She shuts the door in my face, ignoring me completely. I sigh before heading to my house.

I head to my bedroom and throw my bookbag on my floor before laying on my bed. A long sigh escapes my lips as I put my arm over my eyes. 

"I wish she would talk to me," I whisper to myself. I hope she is okay after what happened. The thing sticking out in my mind the most is 'He will come for you Emilia. You can't stay away forever. It just makes me worry about her.