The walk

Toni's POV:

It's been an hour or so since I kissed Cheryl. I was in pajamas now and laying on my sofa. Before bed, I decided I wanted a little snack so I went over to my kitchen area which was fairly small since I lived in a trailer, but it was something. I settled for some cheese and crackers, before I sat back down on the sofa with the food I decided it would only be polite to offer Cheryl some, even though I was probably the last person she wanted to see right now. I quietly knocked on my bedroom door and when I didn't hear an answer I just walked in. "Hey, Cheryl do you want some--" I cut myself off when I looked up to see Cheryl wasn't there but the window in my room was open. The worst possible things were going through my head. Like, what if she went to go hurt herself again or what if I scared her away and she went back to her own house and her mother abuses her some more for not coming home after school. I went to grab my serpent jacket which I thought I left on the little arm chair in my room but I couldn't find it so I decided to just grab my grey zip up hoodie as I then ran out the door. I began to walk around the premises of sunnyside trailer park to see if I could find her. She obviously walked because she left her car in the school parking lot and I drove us on my motor bike to my trailer. Who knows how long ago she even left, so I probably had no chance at finding her but I had to at least try. Just as I was about to give up, I saw a red headed girl with her hair up in a bun wearing a serpent jacket, but I couldn't see her face. I went over to her to maybe ask her if shes seen anyone walking around the trailer park. When I got closer to her I saw the side of her face... "Cheryl?" I asked confused, seeing as she was clearly wearing my serpent jacket but I didn't want to question her on it right at the moment. She slowly turned around, looking distraught. "I'm sorry that I'm wearing your jacket... it's just cold out." she said innocently, without making eye contact. "It's okay, it looks better on you anyway." I said, not meaning to be flirty. That was the last thing needed right now. She just put on a half-smile and looked at the ground. I decided to ask a question that I already knew the answer to. "So why did you leave? I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable but you don't have to go back home. I like knowing your safe." I said genuinely. "I needed to clear my head... I have a lot on my mind right now and honestly I feel kind of sick." she replied. Ouch. That hurt a little. The kiss made her feel sick? "Oh... well if the kiss was that bad then you didn't have to lean into it, and you didn't have to--" I began but Cheryl interrupted me. "It's not all about you, Toni! I have other things on my mind that don't revolve around your lips!" She snapped. "What else could be bothering you? You left after I kissed you. What am I supposed to think?" I argued. She just looked down and took a seat on the ground. I hesitated, but decided to sit next to her, waiting for her to speak. "I didn't... leave after the kiss, I mean. I stayed in your bed and thought about it. I thought about how it made me feel and what it meant. It was confusing for me. A girl has never kissed me before. Eventually I fell asleep, but then my phone kept ringing. To be honest I thought it was you and I wasn't ready to talk about what happened so I ignored it and kept my eyes closed. But it wouldn't stop ringing. It was getting really annoying so I decided to answer it, it was from a blocked caller. When I answered, it was a boy on the other line. He sounded scared to say whatever it was that was so important to call me a thousand times. He... he told me he knew my brother. He said he knew the name of the serpent that abused him. He said telling me could get him killed.. so he needed something in return. Sex. Of course I agreed to it because I needed to know what happened to my brother. The full truth." Cheryl continued as she looked at me. The thought of someone using her for sex made me sick, especially that she agreed to it. I guess the kiss really did mean nothing to her. "I know I told you that the one time I went to the Whyte Wyrm to see what was going on with Jason, I saw who was abusing him, but I didn't. I only saw the serpent jacket. Before I could get a better look, that's when the guy grabbed me and... raped me." She said as a tear fell down her cheek. "Hey, it's okay. You don't have to tell me." I replied as I gently touched her hand. "Yes, I do." she replied. I just nodded as she continued. "The guy that was abusing and torturing my brother was my dad. He was a serpent. I had no idea but it explains why he was always out and sketchy and never telling me anything. It also explains why Jason was so scared of him. He isn't a serpent anymore. The guy on the phone told me that my father left the serpents right after my brother killed himself. Both.. both of my parents are abusive pyschopaths." She said as she began to cry. "Oh my god, Cheryl... That's horrible. You can't go back to that house. Ever. If it's okay for me to ask... what's your fathers name?" I asked. She just looked at me... "Clifford."