Sick

Pippa walked into the theater for rehearsals wearing a cast hoodie and leggings, even though it was the dead of Summer. She was half an hour late as well, not to mention. She opened the door and right as she did, everyone on stage’s heads snapped in the direction of the sound. Pippa noticed her understudy had been standing in her spot, and by the looks of it, they had been rehearsing Helpless.

“Woah, woah, hold on. Slow down, stop.” Lin called out, and at his request, the orchestra and cast stopped in their tracks. He went through the wings and to the stage left staircase, totally dismissing its existence and jumping over all four steps; something that could’ve been seriously dangerous, but thankfully, ended up not being. Lin quickly made his way over to Pippa, who had the most apologetic look on her face.

“I am so, so sorry.” She almost whispered, her voice raspy. Lin took one look at her attire and put his hand up. Pippa dismissed this and kept talking. “See, what happened--” Lin waved his hand to stop her.

“Stop, stop. Shhh. I know exactly what happened.” Lin sympathetically smiled. “Here, take off your sunglasses for me.” He asked. Pippa was hesitant, but did as asked. Right as she did, Lin really could see her pale skin, her red eyes and red nose, as well as the bags under her eyes. Taking into account her voice, her clothing choices, and her uncharacteristically late arrival, he did know what was happening here. “Pip, My Love, you’re sick.”
“No, Lin, really, listen, I’m--”

“Don’t finish that sentence with ‘fine’, Pippa.” Lin warned.

“I’m great.” She really tried to not cough, but she unfortunately fell into a coughing spell for a moment.

“Pippa, you’re not. Go home, please. It’s just a rehearsal day. Rest up for shows tomorrow.” Lin spoke to her in a calming manner.

“I know, but I don’t know my blocks, and…” She tried to push past Lin, but found herself to be too weak to do so, as she fell into another fit of coughing. Pippa’s hands went to her knees, and her head lowered for a moment as she began to feel dizzy on top of it all. Lin’s hand went to her back and rubbed gentle circles into the weighted fabric of her hoodie.

“You know your blocks like the back of your hand.” Lin sighed, looking at her flushed red face as she slowly stood all the way back up. “I know you’re looking for any excuse to stay, but that was a horrible attempt at one.” Pippa shot him a glare. “I’m kidding.” Lin laughed. “But really, Pip, you need to go home and rest.”

“Please let me stay.” Her voice was as rough as sandpaper. “I'll stay quiet, I’ll help with whatever you need, I’ll--"

“Doing any of that isn't going to get you better. You want to perform, right?” She nodded. “So please, if you want to perform, please go home and rest.”

“Lin--" Pippa’s voice scratched out to a whisper.

“Phillipa, go home!” Lin raised his voice, causing everyone on stage to turn to their direction. Pippa just nodded.

“Alright, I’m sorry.”

“Don't be sorry, just focus on getting better.” Lin smiled and rubbed her shoulder.

“I will.”

~~~~~

Pippa did indeed go home, and she made herself some tea and curled up on the couch.  She ended up falling asleep, but woke up to her doorbell a half hour later. She slowly stood up and went to the door. Pippa smiled when she noticed it was Lin.

“I was going to PostMate it over, but I thought it'd be more special if I brought it to you.” Lin laughed and handed his onstage wife a bag from Panera Bread Company.

“Thank you, Lin.” Pippa smiled. “You can come in.” Lin almost awkwardly stepped into the apartment.

“Feelin’ any better?”

“A little bit, now that you're here...especially with food.” She laughed and grabbed a spoon.

Lin stayed over for a while. They watched some Netflix, and talked about Hamilton. He just wanted to make sure she was okay. After while, Pippa had fallen asleep, and Lin bridal style carried her up to her bed. He scribbled her down a witty good morning note, - something he’d probably copy into a tweet in the morning - and closed the door.

~~~~~

The next morning, Pippa came in, well rested and smiley.

“Feelin’ any better?” Lin asked.

“Much.”