He Brought Me A Cappuccino

WARNINGS: to keep it short, I'll just say that this oneshot is based in the same AU as Double Major, so those warnings will come with this oneshot.

Request credit to spacexgay

"Have a good rehearsal, Love." Matthew pulled Pippa into a too tight hug. He kissed the top of Pippa's head and waved as he left.

Pippa exhaled as the hug was separated. The hug didn't help the soreness that had wrapped around her whole body since the previous night.

"Good morning, Pippa!" Lin called.

Pippa simply waved a small wave. She sipped at her cappuccino and smiled a soft smile.

Lin didn't know why Pippa had been so distant lately. She stopped participating in the dance parties in the green room, the after rehearsal cast dinners, her laughs around the whole cast seemed forced. She even stopped pity giggling at Groff's stupid puns, she never didn't giggle at those.

But Lin couldn't help but feel like Pippa had been the most distant from him. In rehearsals, she was hesitant to kiss Lin. She was even hesitant to wear her blue, Eliza ballgown, which months ago, made her face light up. Now, she didn't even want to think about wearing that dress.

~~~~~

"Alright, that's a wrap on rehearsal!" Tommy Kail called, making cheers erupt throughout the entire cast. They were one day closer to previews at the Public.

After rehearsal, Lin was going to go compliment Pippa on her performance of Burn, which was particularly stellar today.

"Hey, Pippa, I just wanted--" Lin opened her dressing room door, not thinking twice about knocking. "Oh, God, sorry!" He cut himself off mid sentence when he saw that Pippa was just in a pair of leggings and a black sports bra.

"No, no, Lin, you're okay. You can come back." Pippa spoke while in the middle of pulling on the NIKE sweatshirt she arrived in.

Lin slowly opened the door once more. He froze in the middle of the wooden frame. "Pippa, w-what is that?" Lin asked.

Pippa froze as well. Her eyes immediately traveled to her side that her sweatshirt had not covered yet. "Nothing." She immediately dropped the fabric from her hands.

"Phillipa." Lin stated, quickly walking towards her. This made every muscle in Pippa's body tense. He gripped the hem of her sweatshirt and lifted it back so that her bruised skin would become visible again. "Where did that bruise come from?"

Pippa bit her bottom lip. "I-If I tell you something, you've gotta promise me that you won't tell anyone. Not Jasmine, or Renèe, or Anthony, or Daveed. Nobody, understand?"

Lin wasn't a big fan of this ultimatum, but he needed to know if Pippa is safe. "Promise. What's going on, Pippa?"

Pippa's eyes fell to the floor. "Matthew's been hitting me."

Lin's jaw dropped slightly. "How long has this been going on?"

"When did...when did I get cast?" Pippa mumbled.

Lin gasped. "Pippa, you've got to get out of there."

Pippa rapidly shook her head. "No, no, no! Lin, you're taking this way out of proportion! He promised that he wouldn't do it ever again."

"Pippa, sit down." He sat her down in the chair by her vanity. "Do you think you deserve to be treated like you are?"

"Lin, he loves me." Pippa leaned forward. "He got up early this morning and brought me a cappuccino, because he knew we had a long and stressful rehearsal day today, and--"

Lin shook his head. "Just because he sponsors your caffeine addiction, doesn't mean he loves you!"

Pippa's eyes welled with tears. "I don't want to leave him."

"You need to leave him, Pippa. Is he drunk when he does this to you?" Lin kneeled before her.

"No." Pippa whispered.

Lin cursed under his breath, knowing that meant Matthew knew exactly what he was doing. "Pippa, you know that you shouldn't be staying with him."

"Lin, I can't leave Matthew!" Pippa threw her hands in the air.

Lin scoffed. "Pippa, you don't deserve this!"

"Lin, nobody else will love him!" Pippa shouted. "So I will." She lowered her voice.

"Phillipa, this isn't healthy. This isn't a true, real relationship." Lin coaxed.

"But he brings me coffee." A small smile broke onto her lips.

"I'll bring you coffee and treat you better in a heartbeat." Lin mumbled.

"What?" Pippa asked, not catching his sentence.

"Nothing." Lin started again. "C-Can I see any other bruises you have?"

I have nothing to lose, she thought. Pippa stood up, slowly removing her sweatshirt.

Lin stood, shocked at the amount of bruises that decorated Pippa's torso. He walked a full circle around Pippa, listening to something she mumbled about scratches that have scarred on her upper thighs.

"Pippa, you've got to get out of there." Lin spoke, hushed in shock. "Honey, we need to report him to the authorities before this gets even, even worse."

Pippa's face ran pale. "No. Lin, he loves me. He promised."

Lin sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Pippa, he's promised that he wouldn't do it again, more than once, hasn't he? He's always going to do it again. First, he'll hit you and scratch you, but next thing you know...he'll...he'll take advantage of you, and then you could end up dead, Pippa!"

Pippa's bottom lip quivered. "He's already...I mean, he's apologized."

Lin shook his head again. "Pippa, he doesn't mean his apologies. I know, I know he's brainwashed you, but--"

Lin stopped when Pippa threw her arms around his neck, basically throwing herself into his embrace. "I'm so scared." She whispered.

"I know, I know, but I'm going to get you some help, yeah? We'll start by reporting Matthew. But even before that, let's get you back home. You're going to stay with me tonight, okay?"

Pippa slowly nodded, not really wanting to talk anymore. She was terrified about what would happen when she didn't come home tonight.

"And I'll bring you a coffee tomorrow morning, how about that?" Lin smiled, giving her hand a gentle squeeze.

~~~~~

Hi, Love! I hope you enjoyed this!