Make It Up To Me // Hamliza

"Alexander..." Eliza whispered, after just having put their children to bed.

Alexander hadn't moved from their kitchen table in hours, ever since he got home. He'd already gone through a third of whiskey. Alex also hadn't been doing much talking, only mumbling responses under his breath that Eliza couldn't quite understand.

"I think you've had enough..." Eliza added, taking the rest of the whiskey bottle into her palm. She was just about to put the lid back on the bottle until Alexander aggressively snatched it back.

"Just something to take the edge off." He muttered.

Eliza sighed, taking the bottle back. "The edge has been off for a while." She took the bottle and successfully closed it, this time.

She returned to the table, taking the seat beside her nearly drunk husband. However, he wasn't as drunk as he was at their wedding reception.

Eliza grabbed Alex's hand over the table.

"Without Washington..." Alex started, but soon trailed off. He let go of his wife's hand and covered his eyes. "Without Washington, this country's all going to hell!" He exclaimed, having no regards for his sleeping children.

Eliza's entire expression fell. She frowned. "Alexander, what's happened?" She rubbed his eyes.

"Washington!" Alexander repeated, pushing himself to a standing position. "He's resigning! Going home! Quitting! I don't know!" He continued to vent, crossing over to the countertop, grabbing the bottle of whiskey once again.

"Alexander, you're not drinking any more tonight." Eliza stood up.

"I will do what I want!" Alex snapped, reaching behind him to grab the bottle opener.

Eliza shuddered. "Alexander..." Eliza had more to say, but she was cut off by the sound of her son crying.

"Go calm that bastard down, it's all you're good for." Alexander snapped under his breath.

Eliza's cheeks heated up in anger. She knew it was the stress and alcohol talking, but she couldn't quite begin to shake that comment off.

Eliza climbed the stairs and entered her child's room. "Shhh, shhh, shhh. Baby..." Eliza cooed, trying to hold back her own tears.

Eliza finally got the child soothed and went back to her shared bedroom with Alexander.

She laid still on the bed, sobbing softly. It seemed like hours until Alexander cracked the door open.

Eliza barely realized he was in the room until Alexander started pressing feather light kisses against Eliza's neck.

"Alex, stop." Eliza tilted her neck away.

"No, Eliza, let me make it--"

Eliza scoffed. "You can't make it up to me."

Alexander hummed low in his throat. "Eliza."

"Alex, go to sleep."