Out Of Tune Piano

It was just one of those days for Lin. One of those days where nothing seemed to go to plan. His out of tune piano was still, well, out of tune, Jasmine was out really sick, and he was worried about her, and Pippa wasn't home at the moment. She always made his darkest days better.

“Hey, Love.” Pippa came around the corner to find Lin sitting on the bench of his piano.

“Hey, how was lunch?” Lin kissed her cheek as she sat beside him.

“It was good. It would've been better with you though.”

Lin frowned and looked down at Pippa’s hands. He grabbed her hands in his and rubbed this thumbs across them. “I'm sorry I couldn't come. You know I--"

“I know, I know you had to work.” Pippa half smiled and looked back at Lin. “Why do you look so distracted? What's wrong?”

“I'm not. I'm just...thinking.” Lin’s hands still stayed rubbing Pippa's.

“Thinking about what? Tell me it's not money. Babe, I'm getting paid here soon, I promise you, and I have that interview next week. You don't have anything to worry about. Besides, Hamilton is going to Broadway in two weeks.” Pippa gave Lin’s lips a kiss. “Please don't worry.”

“I'll try my best not to.” Lin smiled at how sweet Pippa was to him. Going well past her own limits for both Amelie, Hamilton, and this interview for a smaller, local theater company. That's three shows she'd be working on. Two of those being six to eight times a week. Not even to mention tech weeks in there. Lin knew she was pushing herself too hard and running herself into the ground, but he also knew she wouldn't stop until she felt she had reached her goal. And as of late, that goal seemed pretty far away.

“Now,” Pippa began, trying to brighten the mood. “How's your day been?”

“Long. Stressful. Tiring. Bad.” Lin listed, looking down at the piano keys.

Pippa thought to herself for a moment. It might've been to early to tell him, but she chose to anyway. “Have you played your piano yet? I know that makes you feel better.”

“Pip,” Lin chuckled. “It's so out of tune that I can't stand it.”

“You sure?” Pippa smirked. “Why don’t you play me a little something?”

“Pippa Soo, what are you up to?” Lin smirked back.

“Nothing.” Pippa laughed under her breath.

Lin raised his eyebrows back at her and faced the piano fully. “What do you want to hear?”

“Anything you want to play.”

“Pip, just tell me.” Lin whined like a little kid.

“Alright...um...play me ‘Take A Break’. Because I know you're probably about to tell me that.” Pippa laughed.

“You got it.” Lin placed his hands on the right keys to begin the song. He started playing with a cringe and preparedness for a horrible sound to emit from the instrument. But it never came. It sounded brand new. “Phillipa Soo, did you do this?”

“I mean, I paid someone to do it, but I did it as your congratulations gift.”

“Congratulations for what?” Lin asked.

“Well, a certain Walt Disney left a certain voicemail on the apartment phone yesterday. And they want a certain someone to write some songs for a certain movie called ‘Moana’.” Pippa laughed.

Lin’s eyes widened. “What?! That's crazy!” He threw his arms around Pippa.

“I know it is, so I spent a check and got your piano tuned.”

“Have I ever told you how amazing you are?” Lin peppered her face with kisses in between words.

“You might've once or twice.” She laughed.

“I don’t recall, so I'm going to say it again. You are amazing and I love you so much!”

~~~~~

A/N: Short and sweet to make y'all smile after all the sad chapters. Hope you liked it! Xoxo! ❤