Diet Mountain Dew

Diet mountain dew, baby, New York City
Never was there ever a girl so pretty
Do you think we'll be in love forever?

-Lana Del Rey

"That stuff is horrible for you." Tommy said, sitting down at the table.

"I don't care. I'm tired. And this is my source of caffeine this morning." Lin chuckled lightly and took another sip of his diet Mountain Dew.

"Whatever you say, Mate." Tommy shrugged and turned his attention to the five headshots in front of them. They were auditioning the final five girls for Eliza.

"I don't understand why we have to do this." Lin mumbled. "Phillipa is the perfect Eliza."

"You're only saying that because you have a crush on her." He scoffed.

"Do not!" Lin fought back. This was so highschool. "She's perfect! You can't deny it!"

Tommy scoffed once more, picking up the first headshot. "Besides she's busy going into that new play. The French one."

"Amélie?" Lin asked.

"Yeah. She's originating the role."

"But it isn't even set to begin previews until--"

"Lin," He cut Lin off. "Just give it up. Phillipa isn't going to be Eliza. Now, there are five amazing girls out there that are perfect."

"I guess you're right. Bring the first one in." Lin sighed, sipping his soda as he leaned back in his chair, ready for auditions to start.

~~~~~

The final auditions had wrapped, and Lin groaned, putting his head in his hands.

"There's no way you don't like any of them." Tommy pointed out. Lin pointed out every headshot, explaining that none of their voices sounded right. And Tommy knew if she wasn't perfect, Lin wouldn't cast her. He sighed. "Lin, you're not going to get Phillipa. I'm sorry, sometimes things in this industry don't work out."

"But my gut is telling me that none of those five are the right Eliza." Lin shook his head, collecting his things.

"Now, where are you going?" Tommy stood up as well. Lin swallowed the last of his Diet Mountain Dew and threw the can into the recycle bin across the room.

"I'm going to think about this whole thing. We'll have a girl by morning."

"Promise?" Tommy asked.

"Promise."

~~~~~

Lin went home and did his research, conducting background checks on all the five girls, and as well as on Phillipa. Still, she was perfect. Lin also made a few phone calls and sent a few emails that night, finding himself still at his desk at midnight. It didn't matter. This was his show, the same show he'd worked on for seven years, it had to be perfect.

Lin had agreed to meet at Tommy's apartment with his casting choice in mind. Lin groggily opened his eyes to the sound of his alarm at seven a.m. He had fallen asleep at his desk, hadn't he? He had. Usually, he'd be mad at himself for this, but today, not so much; he had gotten what he wanted.

Lin: On my way. Might be a bit late, had to run a quick errand.

Tommy: No worries. See you soon.

Lin turned his phone off and got in the car. He sent one more text and then started driving.

~~~~~

"Well, hello." Lin said, helping the girl in the black dress into the passenger's seat of his car. This was his errand.

"Hello." She smiled back.

"I'm glad to have you as our Eliza!" Lin exclaimed, starting the car and heading towards Tommy's.

"I am too, thank you so much for selecting me." She said.

"Of course, you're going to be an amazing addition to the cast."

~~~~~

"My gosh, Lin, you look like...oh my gosh." Tommy's eyes widened at the sight of his friend at his door. "Did you even sleep last night?"

"Don't worry about it." Lin brushed the comment off. "Listen, there's someone I want you to meet." Lin and Pippa had prepared for this in the car; on those words, Pippa was to turn the corner, and she did.

"Phillipa Soo. Nice to meet you." She held her hand out, and Tommy almost awkwardly shook it.

"Hi, Phillipa. Come on in, make yourself at home. Lin, can I see you for a moment?" Tommy pointed into his kitchen.

"Sure." Lin followed Tommy. "What's up?"

"How did you get her?" Tommy snapped.

"I made some calls, and I was right. Emilia doesn't start until next year sometime." Lin replied.

"It's "Amélie", my goodness, go get some sleep." Tommy scowled. "But there is no way that I can let you do that to her! She already has that show lined up, Lin, you cannot."

"Already signed." Lin snapped back.

"Lin!"

The arguing continued for minutes more, and Pippa just stayed to the couch, just looking around the room at all of the pictures. Hey, Lin is in that one. Eventually, the two men came into the room, still quietly bickering as they appeared, but soon stopped when they came completely into the living room from the kitchen.

"Welcome to the cast!" Tommy said, and Pippa smiled brightly.

~~~~~

A/N: Looking to be at rehearsals all night...I'm going to need some caffeine tomorrow morning, that's for sure! Haha! Either way, I hope you enjoyed this oneshot! Xx. ❤