:: Chapter Three ::

~Ciel's POV~

Madame Red, Lau, Madame Red's Butler, Grelle, and I returned to the city estate after the imbecile Grelle got us lost, which meant I was stuck in a carriage with Lau and Madame Red for an extra, insufferable, thirty minutes. The front door opened as I stomped up the stairs in annoyance.

"I was getting worried, young master." My devilishly handsome demon butler bowed to me, stopping my guests in their tracks.

"Sebastian!" Madame Red exclaimed, "How ever did you get here before us?"

"I returned in haste after I finished my assignment." Sebastian smiled charmingly. "I've prepared your afternoon tea, along with a cornmeal cake of pears and blackberries to accompany it."

"Come now, Sebastian, you can't be serious." Madame Red scoffed, "You expect us to believe you've already compiled a list of suspects?"

"Not at all, I've already gone through a list of viable suspects, questioned them all, marked off those with alibis for the nights in question, and have found only one matching suspect."

"That's impossible, even for you." Madame Red chuckled.

Sebastian retrieved a ten-foot-long scroll from his pocket and began reading in haste, causing Madame Red, Grelle, and Lau to stare in awe. I cleared my throat in annoyance, cutting the demon off from his raving.

"Cut to the chase, Sebastian." I sighed.

"The only remaining individual who fits all of the criteria, no alibis, someone well versed in medical science and anatomy, and someone involved in a secret society, the Viscount of Druitt, Sir Aleistor Chamber." Sebastian replied in kind as he took my riding cloak and led me to the drawing room for tea.

"That's almost convenient." Madame Red noted as Sebastian began serving everyone.

"Why is that?" I pondered as I casually sipped the perfectly blended tea.

"He's hosting a ball this evening." Madame Red smiled, "Shall we do some undercover investigating." I didn't like the malicious glint in her eyes.

"What are you planning?"

"Well he'll suspect something's afoul, if you show up out of the blue, you'll have to wear a disguise, and I have just the one." My aunt smirked.

I had a feeling I wasn't going to like this. "And that would be?"

"You can go in the guise of my niece." She beamed.

Sebastian looked on the verge of laughter. I threw him a glare and clenched my fists, "Absolutely not! You are not sticking me in a dress." I glowered.

"Oh, but I've always wanted a girl! And Ciel you're just perfect for the part, you're so delicate." She cooed.

"I am not delicate!" I snapped as Sebastian choked on a laugh, not that any of my guests noticed.

"I think it's a marvelous idea." Sebastian was enjoying this too much.

"No one asked for your opinion, Sebastian." I hissed.

"It's settled, you'll act as my niece at tonight's ball."

"No."

"How else do you plan on interrogating him, he'll go after any pretty little thing in a skirt, and it's your only chance at being alone with him." My aunt smiled.

I didn't want to be alone with that creep! "Absolutely not." I grumbled defiantly.

"You'd fit into one of your mother's old gowns. I'm sure there are plenty upstairs." Madame Red smiled. An image of my mother's smiling face flashed before my eyes. Madame Red paused for a moment and looked to me curiously, "Ciel darling, are you alright?"