:: Chapter Eight ::

~Sebastian's POV~

In the middle of the night, I set about preparing for the next day, cleaning the manor from top to bottom. As I was arranging some crimson roses atop Ciel's desk in her study, I heard a shrill scream from her bed chamber. The other servants were sure to have heard it if they weren't deep in slumber. Was someone trying to kidnap my young mistress again? I raced to her room and threw the door back with three knives poised in my hand.

There were no villains threatening my young mistress. She was curled in a ball on the bed with her arms tightly wrapped around her stomach. Her eyes were wild with fear and laced with pain. The saccharine scent of her blood wafted through the air.

"Young Mistress, are you alright?" I took a tentative step forward.

"Sebastian, I think I'm dying!" She cried.

What? I flew to her side in a panic and removed her hands from her stomach, had she been stabbed? There was no wound. My gaze flitted down to a bloodstain on the sheets beneath her and I sighed in relief as I realized what had transpired.

"You're not dying, young mistress, this happens to most girls your age." I chuckled.

Her glare was menacing. "This is not a laughing matter! What the hell is happening to me?" She snarled venomously.

"Well young mistress, I'm not actually that well versed on these matters." I held back a laugh, "I'm not sure what the term is for it these days, but it seems you have started your womanly cycle."

"If you don't wipe that smirk off your face, Sebastian, I'll run you through with my dagger." She hissed as she reached under her pillow for the blade she kept hidden.

"Shall I fetch Mey-Rin?" I pondered.

"Absolutely not!" She glared before doubling over with a wince and wrapping her arms around her stomach with a gasp of pain. "Sebastian, make it stop hurting." She whimpered helplessly.

I lifted her out of the bed and set her on her feet before pulling the bloodied sheets off the bed, "Shall I make you some ginger tea for the pain and burn these?"

My young mistress looked so small and frightened leaning against the four-poster column of the bed for support. She nodded her head meekly.

"Shall I draw you a hot bath before I go?" I pondered as a single tear slipped from her indigo eye that held my demon seal.

Another meek nod. I set the sheets at the foot of the bed atop a giant black trunk and headed for the washroom. She followed in my footsteps like a lost little lamb. Her small fingers caught the back of my tailcoat and gripped it tight causing me to turn to her.

"Young mistress?"

Her head was bowed and her body was trembling. She didn't look up.

"What is it?" I reached out to cup her cheek in my hand and was surprised when she dove into my arms.

She bit her lip.

I wrapped my arms around the trembling girl. Normally, I would have relished in the delectable scent of her terror, but I wanted to take her fear away. I wanted the fragile girl in my arms to laugh and smile. I wanted her to be happy. To think a beast like me would develop such a human emotion as compassion. "It's alright, young mistress." I streamed my fingers through her silken hair in an attempt to console her. I ushered the trembling girl into the washroom.