Android

3660 words

Next update - June 9

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

"Dear Radio, 

Just another boring day. I know its my day off and I could be actually doing something fun but the only real friend I have is Hank and all he does is drink. I don't know how I should be spending my day off but something inside me makes me feel like my life is about to change and that a new door is going to open any-"

 I was cut off by a knocking on my door. I quickly stopped the recording and turned on my side to see the time. It was 7:30 at night. I didn't know why anyone would be visiting at this hour or even who it could be. Like I stated before all Hank ever does is drink which he is probably doing right now. I don't even know if he remembers where I live. I got up and made my way to the door. It dawned on me that maybe it was something about work but even then they probably would have called me first. I would have looked through my peephole if it somehow wasn't cracked. Probably the kids across the way playing with there slingshots. I opened it slowly and saw an Android. My body went cold from the outside air. He was much taller than me and stared at me for a moment. "Hello. What can I do for you? Are you lost?" He shook his head gently. I say he because I never thought it was fair to call Androids 'it'. I know they aren't human but they sure as hell look like it. It didn't come naturally to me to call anything it unless it was some sort of insect. He motioned towards himself.

"Sargent James, My name is Connor. I'm an android sent by CyberLife. I've been assigned to help you with a hostage investigation across town." I felt my heart pound in my chest at the thought of a hostage situation. "Oh my gosh!" I grabbed his arm and pulled him inside, quickly closing the door and rushing to my room. "Let me change and we'll head out right away." He nodded his head slowly and I barged into my room. I couldn't let my nerves get to me. I couldn't let my own personal feelings get in the way of this. This was my job after all. I quickly tore off my shorts and put black skinny jeans on before putting on a black pullover hoodie and an over-sized dark denim jacket. I threw on some converse and slammed my door open, running to my office to grab my badge, gun, and keys. I made my way out of the room and didn't even bother to turn off my lights as I opened the door. "Let's go" I replied, trying to calm my rapid breath. I was moving a lot faster than him but he seemed to be walking at a normal pace, even though he was right next to me. I opened the doors to my black 1967 Chevrolet Impala and hoped in. He got into the passenger seat and we were on our way. "Can you tell me the directions as we go?" He looked at me and nodded. "Sure thing" We sat in silence only talked when he told me I had to turn left or right. I needed to break the silence. 

"How did you know where I lived." I mentally facepalmed at the dumb question. He's a fucking android, they probably told him. I bet he has a built-in GPS. "I was told today was your day off so I was given your address to inform you of the mission." I giggled slightly as he called it a mission. I would have just called it a case. He looked at me and tilted his head like a confused puppy. "Whats so funny?" I shook my head, feeling my face heat up. "I just thought it was interesting how you called it a mission. Most people would call it a case." He turned to look back at the road and told me to make a left. "I see." There's the silence again. I sighed gently. "Soooo......." I gently tapped on the steering wheel. He looked back over at me, thinking I was going to ask him something. "Do I make you uncomfortable Sargent?" I turned to look at him for a moment before quickly putting my eyes back on the road. "Why do you say that?" I felt his eyes on me making me get more nervous. "Your heart rate has risen and so has your temperature. You seem to be nervous." I felt myself getting even warmer. "It's not that you make me uncomfortable, I'm just not good around people I've never met before." He told me to turn again. "I am an android. There's nothing to be scared of. I know some people have a hard time being around androids but it's just for today, and then you never have to see me again." I shook my head quickly.