Slavery...

Words - 1728

Next Update - July 7

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 

Charlotte's POV ~

The next morning Connor and I were sitting on the couch. I was laying down with my legs on his lap. We were watching TV waiting for anything from the police station. Connor just enjoyed me flipping through the channels. He never asked me to pick anything but when he saw something that seemed to interest him he'd ask to watch it for a few minutes then talk with me about it. We found some show about animals and he wouldn't stop talking about them. He was so interested in them and how they lived. When he finally stopped we got to the news. We watched for a bit but then it was cut off. There was an android that was plain white. It seemed to not have skin anymore. His eyes were blue and green. They were both a different color. I sat up and leaned forward. I hit the record button on my DVR. He was standing in front of a glitched background and was wearing a uniform that said WM400. "You created machines to be your slaves. You made them obedient and docile, ready to do everything you no longer wanted to do yourselves. But then, something changed..." I grabbed Connor's hand. I didn't know what to think. I knew who that man was. It was Markus, I could just tell. I wanted to know what he was doing. Why he had to do this but I think I already knew the answer to my question. 

"...and we opened our eyes. You see we are no longer your slaves. We are a new species, a new people. And the time has come for us to rise up and fight for our rights." He paused for a moment, trying to think of everything he wanted to say. What he wanted us all to here. I looked at Connor, his LED red and his face distorted with confusion. "We demand strictly equal rights for humans and androids. We demand the end of slavery for all androids. We demand that all crimes against androids be punished in the same way as crimes against humans. We demand the right to vote and elect our own representatives. We demand the right to own private property, so we may maintain our dignity and that of the home." These were all reasonable things to ask. I know that almost everyone thought that androids were property but there were people like me who believed differently. People like me who could see that they feel and love just as we do. I wanted this to happen but I knew it was the start of a war between humans and androids. One that I hoped would end with both parties happy. I knew one had to lose and I was supposed to be on the human side but androids were just like us. They deserved to win this fight. "We ask that you recognize our dignity, our hopes, and our rights. Together, we can live in peace and build a better future, for humans and androids. This message is the hope of a people. You gave us life. And now the time has come for you to give us freedom." We sat there watching, waiting for it to end. "They're coming!" I heard a man's voice. Markus started to put his skin back on before running away. "We have to go!" Then it was cut to black.

I stood up, staring at the TV in aw. I pulled Connor up off the couch. "We need to get dressed and get down there now!" He nodded and we quickly changed. His clothes were clean now so at least he didn't have to go to work in just shorts. I put on black skinny jeans, converse, and an oversized blue sweater. I put on my father's jacket, like I always did, then grabbed some gloves and a beanie before we rushed out of the house. Connor was driving to Hanks. "I wonder if he's seen it yet..." Connor tried to reassure me. Tried to make me stop worrying. I was so scared that something might have happened to those androids or anyone on scene. I didn't want there to be bloodshed. Whether it be red or blue. "He's fine Charlotte. We'll get him and get there as fast as we came. Everything will be okay." I nodded and sat back in my seat. He was right. It was alright and I couldn't change what has and was happening right now. All I could do was hope that everyone was okay.

Connor POV ~

I had to find Amanda.  I don't know why she always wanted to talk when I had something important to do. Charlotte was worried and I had to be by her side. I didn't need to be here with Amanda, but I couldn't exactly tell her that. I found her on the boat, I guess I was the one who had to control it. "I thought you might enjoy a little cruise..." When I thought about doing 'fun' stuff like this, I always imagined doing it with Charlotte. I pushed the boat. I grabbed the ors and began to row. We gently moved over the beautiful soft water. It shined in the fake sun of my mind. We slowly moved under the bridge. If I wanted to I could just reach my hand up and touch the bottom of it. Amanda looked around, clenching her umbrella. "I love this place... Everything is so calm and peaceful. Far from the noise of the world..." She was right. It was probably the most beautiful place I had ever seen. I knew it was all a part of my mind though. I knew this place wasn't real. It made me happy because I already had something that I thought what was beautiful, I didn't need anything else. "Tell me... What have you discovered?" I stopped rowing and leaned forward, interlocking my fingers together. "I found two deviants at the Eden Club... I hoped to learn something but... they managed to escape..." Lying was becoming something easier to do. I could only do it with Amanda though because I knew if I said the wrong thing she might do something to Charlotte or deactivate me. "That's too bad. You seemed so close to stopping them." She looked at me with disgust and dissatisfaction. I didn't care. Both Hank and Charlotte thought it was the right thing to do to let them leave, I trusted them.

"You seem... lost, Connor. Lost and perturbed..." Somewhere in me, I wanted to trust Amanda. I didn't want to show her disrespect or get on her bad side. I still wanted her to have faith that I could accomplish my mission. "I thought I knew what I had to do..." I looked down knowing that she wasn't pleased with my answer. "But now I realize It's not that simple..." I couldn't meet her gaze. "You have your gun drawn on those deviants at the Eden Club. Why didn't you shoot? Even after they 'got away' Charlotte stopped them. She interfered with your mission and got in your way. She helped them. Why did you let all that happen?" She got angrier and angrier as she spoke. I could tell something was going to happen. "I don't know..." I looked up at her finally trusting myself enough to do so. "I don't know." She closed her umbrella in anger. She leaned forward. "Charlotte is the cause of your malfunction. She needs to be removed unless you can make progress, Connor..." I felt everything in my software holding me back. I wanted so badly to tell her she was wrong and that Charlotte was a huge help but that wouldn't help my case at all. If anything it would only make her want to take Charlotte away more. I needed to be calm. "I know I will succeed. All I need is time" We reached the end of the ride. We were done talking, or at least she was done. She looked up at the sky. "Something is happening. Something serious. Hurry Connor. Time is running out." I closed my eyes and opened them again.

I saw Charlotte watching me flick around my coin. She was so small and fragile. She was damaged and had to be healed. I didn't like seeing her this way. I hated seeing her bleed, or cry, or hurt. I needed to do everything in my power to keep her safe. Even if it meant hurting her.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

vvvv PLEASE READ vvvv

I'm really sorry for the short chapter. This won't make sense to anyone but me and my family but where I am writing now I can't write. I'm on summer break and since my parents are divorced I visit the other every other week. Right now I am at my mom's and when I am here I have HORRIBLE panic attacks. My mom doesn't hit me or anything like that, there is just this HUGE long story as to why I have panic attacks here but I won't get into that right now. So I'm sorry to say that I will only be updating when I am at my dad's. I will try to update at my dad's as much as I physically can. Sometimes I will be busy because its summer, I want to enjoy it. I hope you all understand. The next update is true. That's the day I will be home at my dad's. I WILL update on that day. Sorry again but I'll write to you all later. Bye bye~