Chapter 5

3 weeks later.....

"Maya how do you already have a C in History? It's barely the third week."

"Hey it's not my fault Ro. I just... just.."

"It's okay don't strain yourself." Eric smirked and let out a blaring laugh.

Maya looked ready to attack him, but I made sure to hold her back.

I looked at my phone and noticed it was already 3:20. "C'mon I gotta get to the Panaderia."

"Hey." Maya grabbed my attention looking for reassurance to continue. "Did you ask your parents about us working there part-time?"

"Oh yeah about that..." I bit my lip and looked down. Their faces dropped as they waited for my response. "Of course they said yes. Now c'mon they want to talk to you two about your schedules."

~~~~~~~~

"Mom, ya llegamos." I yelled out to my mom. She was in the back of the shop kneading the dough. Flour was spread all over the table, covering her arms, and parts of her face.

She smiled up at me and blew a piece of her hair out of her face. My mom was the most beautiful woman in the world to me. She had chocolate brown,long hair, and the most dazzling dark green eyes. She had full, pink lips, and the most perfect smile. She wasn't petite or big, but a perfect middle ground. I always wanted to be just like my mom.

Apart from her beauty she was kind, thoughtful, and honest. She always had high integrity, and she always gave others respect. I really do believe that her character helped the Panaderia stay in business. It didn't make a fortune, but it gave us enough.

I gave her a hug and asked,"Where's dad?"

"He's in the back. He's grabbing the delivery."

Julian stepped forward. "I could help him. If that's alright."

My mom thought for a quick second. "That's very nice of you dear. Thank you. I think he could use the help."

Julian headed towards the back door. My grandma came through the door calling out to me. "Hola mijita. How was school?"

I gave her a hug. "It was good. Maya has a C though"

My grandma looked at Maya, lifting her eyebrow. "Maya... "

Maya gulped and stepped forward. "Y-yess.. ma'am?"

"What's this I hear?"

"Well I may have not studied as hard as I could've for our first test, but I will for the next one. Promise." She made an x motion over her heart and held up her right hand.

My grandma just smiled and pulled her close into a hug. "Good because I know you can do amazing."

Maya looked at me sternly. I just shrugged my shoulders and laughed. She just rolled her eyes.

My grandma loved my friends just as if they were her grandkids. They considered her their grandma too, which involved some talks about grades and any teenage drama we could have.

My dad and Julian came through the door, carrying bags of flour over their shoulders. My dad was tall and had dark black hair. He had a well maintained beard and dark brown eyes. He was tan and pretty muscular. He was obsessed with working out and usually forced me to join him on a weight session, or a run. Usually I could get out of it, but sometimes I wasn't as lucky.

He wasn't my real dad, but he was the only dad I had known. My real dad died in a car crash before I was born. My mom almost didn't make it out alive; I almost didn't make it out alive.

I tried not to think too much about the accident, but it did come to my mind a couple times. I was told that I looked exactly like my dad. I wished I could have met him,  and sometimes it felt like that was the missing part of me I would never get back.

I didn't have any photos, but I did have my mom's and grandma's stories, and somehow they made me feel whole, and not as empty.

I walked over to my dad as he set the flour on the floor. "Hi dad. What needs to be done?"

He looked towards the ovens and turned back to me. " I think we could use a couple batches of chocolate chip cookies and some more conchas."

The cookies were something new we had added after I practically begged them. They turned out to be a huge success, and after school I would always come and make at least 3 batches.

"Okay I'll just put my stuff down. By the way when do they start working here?", I asked moving my head towards Julian and Maya.

My mother looked at my dad. "Well what if they work for two hours now as a type of training? If that's alright with their pare-."

"-yes." Julian and Maya practically yelled at the same time. My parents laughed before they agreed.

The night went pretty smoothly. Julian and Maya had left an hour ago. I finished cleaning up, just as the last customers were checking out.

I felt a strange sensation, as if someone was watching me. I quickly shook it off thinking I was just tired. I went over to the cash register and grabbed the tips we had received. I placed them in our tip bag, and felt the urge to look up. Someone had to be watching me. I felt it.

Slowly and steadily I moved my head up, taking slow breaths, and looked up towards the door. A boy around my age was standing by the drink cooler.

He seemed to be a bit shorter than me, with wavy, blonde hair. He was wearing a denim jacket with ripped black skinny jeans. His lips were tightly pressed together, almost like he was trying to hold back something he wanted to say.  His eyes met mine. They were icy blue, unwelcoming, frankly frightening. It was as if he was staring into my soul. It was a blank stare that I couldn't look away from.

Suddenly I heard my dad call my name. I turned my eyes to the right and yelled back,"Coming!"

I turned back around not even thirty seconds later, and the boy was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hi! I just want to thank you for taking time to read my book. It means so much to me. This is where things will get a lot more interesting and I hope you enjoy it. Thanks again!😊